Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От Gavin M. Roy
Тема Re: Gentoo for production DB server?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I've been extremely happy with my gentoo boxes.  I switched from
Slackware over the past year or so after many years of Slackware
zealotry.  I have nothing bad to say about using Gentoo other than I
personally wouldnt use portage/ebuilds for PostgreSQL.  Personally I
always have better experiences when I download the source tarball and
install things like PostgreSQL the way the developers distribute them.

Gavin

Greg Donald wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 16:33, Christine Desmuke wrote:
>

>>At the risk of starting a flame-war, I'd like some more details on the
>>use of Gentoo Linux for a production PostgreSQL server. There have been
>>a couple of comments lately that it is not such a great idea; does
>>anyone have specific experience they'd be willing to share?
>>

>I used Gentoo for a long time on my home systems but I recently quit.
>
>It's a "fun" distro as far as the options and all, and it has a great
>user community for support.. but I got tired of the Gentoo developers
>(whether intentional or not) pushing out new stuff marked as "stable"
>when it obviously was not.  The price was right and I knew going in I
>wasn't getting a perfectly stable distro, but nevertheless they left me
>with a broken machine on several occasions.  Having a slightly faster
>machine isn't worth the headaches to me personally.
>
>For stability, db/web server usage and such, I'd go with Debian.
>For features, desktop systems, etc., I'd go with Suse.  9.1 is
>impressive.
>For security, firewall, or router usage, I'd go with *BSD.

Сообщение: Re: Is this legal SQL? Is it a good practice?
Сообщение: Re: Is this legal SQL? Is it a good practice?