Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От Matthew Marlowe
Тема Re: Gentoo for production DB server?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 16:33, Christine Desmuke wrote:
>> > At the risk of starting a flame-war, I'd like some more details on the
>> > use of Gentoo Linux for a production PostgreSQL server. There have been
>> > a couple of comments lately that it is not such a great idea; does
>> > anyone have specific experience they'd be willing to share?

Gentoo makes a great platform for production linux systems (Postgresql
and otherwise), if:

a) You have at least one machine dedicated to testing and validating updates

b) You restrict non-urgent/security updates to once/quarter

Gentoo has alot of features, is amazingly customizeable, and can significantly
reduce long term systems maintenance costs -- but it isn't a silver bullet. You have
to take over some QA tasks that redhat/etc would otherwise be doing.

We currently have about 100 gentoo servers here, and wouldn't think about switching
to any other distro.  But just because the gentoo developers release a new ebuild, doesn't
mean that we deploy it w/o testing.

Regards,
Matt

--
Matthew Marlowe - DeployLinux Consulting
Architecture and Implementation for Linux Powered E-Business

Office: 805-277-1882 / Cell: 805-857-9144
Fax: 805-277-9721 / matt@deploylinux.net