Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От Cott Lang
Тема Re: Gentoo for production DB server?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 15:01, Greg Donald wrote:
> when it obviously was not.  The price was right and I knew going in I
> wasn't getting a perfectly stable distro, but nevertheless they left me
> with a broken machine on several occasions.  Having a slightly faster
> machine isn't worth the headaches to me personally.

I too fiddled with it at home for a while. I saw a few benchmarks
showing Gentoo was actually slower than Redhat and Mandrake - then I
really wasn't sure why I was compiling for days. :)  Yes, I know you
don't have to compile everything. Yes, I realize those benchmarks
weren't the most scientific.

We use Redhat in production. When it came to decision time, the only
real contenders were Redhat and Suse, because we wanted someone else to
QA our operating system (not our business focus - that would cost us
more than the OS) and we needed the best hardware vendor support. We
picked Redhat over Suse primarily because everyone in our organization
had Redhat experience (and on their desktops) but no Suse experience -
otherwise I probably would've gone with Suse. I'm really tired of poor
file system diversity on Redhat.