Обсуждение: Auto Starting Postgresql Under Mandrake 9.1 ??

Auto Starting Postgresql Under Mandrake 9.1 ??

От
Peter Moscatt
Дата:
I have just installed postgresql from the RPMs on the MD dist CDs - all
went to plan.

I can manually start the server using: pg_ctl start -l -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data.

But when I put this line in the: /etc/rc.d/rc.local file then check the
boot.log file to see if it's loading - I see this is not the case.

How do I get it to run at boot time on a Mandrake 9.1 installation ?

Pete

Re: Auto Starting Postgresql Under Mandrake 9.1 ??

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi

On 14 Jul 2003, Peter Moscatt wrote:

> I can manually start the server using: pg_ctl start -l -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data.
>
> But when I put this line in the: /etc/rc.d/rc.local file then check the
> boot.log file to see if it's loading - I see this is not the case.

AFAIK you should write
/usr/bin/pg_ctl start ....

Devrim GUNDUZ
devrim@gunduz.org                devrim.gunduz@linux.org.tr
            http://www.tdmsoft.com
            http://www.gunduz.org

Re: Auto Starting Postgresql Under Mandrake 9.1 ??

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 14 Jul 2003 at 19:32, Peter Moscatt wrote:

> I have just installed postgresql from the RPMs on the MD dist CDs - all
> went to plan.
>
> I can manually start the server using: pg_ctl start -l -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data.

You should place a logfile name after -l option. See if that log file gets
proper entries.

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
expressed as a relative priority, indicating that the user doesn't    care when
the work is completed so long as he is treated less    badly than someone else.

Re: Auto Starting Postgresql Under Mandrake 9.1 ??

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 14/07/2003 10:32 Peter Moscatt wrote:
> I have just installed postgresql from the RPMs on the MD dist CDs - all
> went to plan.
>
> I can manually start the server using: pg_ctl start -l -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data.
>
> But when I put this line in the: /etc/rc.d/rc.local file then check the
> boot.log file to see if it's loading - I see this is not the case.
>
> How do I get it to run at boot time on a Mandrake 9.1 installation ?
>
> Pete

I think MD uses the same start-up mechanism as RedHat. Is there a
start/stop script for postgresql in /etc/rc.d/init.d ? What does chkconfig
--list|grep post show?

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: Auto Starting Postgresql Under Mandrake 9.1 ??

От
nolan@celery.tssi.com
Дата:
> I can manually start the server using: pg_ctl start -l -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data.
>
> But when I put this line in the: /etc/rc.d/rc.local file then check the
> boot.log file to see if it's loading - I see this is not the case.

I assume you're running the rc_init command manually as some user other
than root.

Here's what works for me in  rc.local under Redhat 8, change user name,
directories and file names as appropriate:

su - postgres ; pg_ctl start -l /usr/local/pgsql/data/log.out
--
Mike Nolan