Обсуждение: PostGreSql equivalents to mssql

PostGreSql equivalents to mssql

От
"adivi"
Дата:
Hi,
    i am a novice at PostGreSQL
    but have some idea of MsSqlServer

    Migrating to PostGreSql, i need to know how capable pgsql Functions are , Vis a Vis SQLServer.
    can pgsql functions replace all functionality provided by Stored Procedures of MSSqlServer

    specifically:
     1. do pgsql Functions
        a.> return datasets
        b.> return output parameters

     2. does PostGreSQL have an equivalent to Triggers of SQLServer

i'd also appreciate any links to find out about

    the possibility of exporting
        data
        relations
        stored procs / functions / Triggers

    from PostGreSQL database.

Thanks In Advance

regards
-adivi

Re: PostGreSql equivalents to mssql

От
Дата:
> Hi,
>    i am a novice at PostGreSQL
>    but have some idea of MsSqlServer
>
>    Migrating to PostGreSql, i need to know how capable pgsql Functions
>    are , Vis a Vis SQLServer. can pgsql functions replace all
>    functionality provided by Stored Procedures of MSSqlServer

Dear Adivi ,

Congratulations on choosing the most advanced  opensource database on earth.
You can expect all the support from the nice people residing here ;-)

>    specifically:
>     1. do pgsql Functions
>        a.> return datasets

yes postgresql 7.3.x  CAN
check
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/SetReturningFunctions
for details.

>        b.> return output parameters

I dont get this question very much, someone else might be
able to help u here.

>     2. does PostGreSQL have an equivalent to Triggers of SQLServer

Yes very much,
check Triggers sections in the postgresql Documentation.

> i'd also appreciate any links to find out about
>
>    the possibility of exporting
>        data
>        relations
>        stored procs / functions / Triggers
>
>    from PostGreSQL database.

check http://techdocs.postgresql.org/#convertfrom
and specifically the
#

Microsoft SQL Server
# Converting your data from MS SQL Server 7 to PostgreSQL 7.1.x by Ryan C.
Bonham#HOWTO : Microsoft SQL Server to PostgreSQL Migration by Ian Harding

Section.

> Thanks In Advance
>
> regards
> -adivi

   "India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.!"
http://www.trade-india.com/

Re: PostGreSql equivalents to mssql

От
"Maksim Likharev"
Дата:
>        b.> return output parameters

>I dont get this question very much, someone else might be
>able to help u here.

You cannot have [out] parameters in term of MS TSQL word,
but your function could return a complex type, that will do a trick.
Still you cannot return a recordset and [out] params, but do you need
it?

Re: PostGreSql equivalents to mssql

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 11:58:40PM -0700, Maksim Likharev wrote:
> >        b.> return output parameters
>
> >I dont get this question very much, someone else might be
> >able to help u here.
>
> You cannot have [out] parameters in term of MS TSQL word,
> but your function could return a complex type, that will do a trick.
> Still you cannot return a recordset and [out] params, but do you need
> it?

If you need both, you can use a temp table...

"Aprender sin pensar es inutil; pensar sin aprender, peligroso" (Confucio)

Re: PostGreSql equivalents to mssql

От
"Maksim Likharev"
Дата:
Unfortunately I cannot tell you much about Postgres on Unix and client
on Windows, but all my test apps written on VB and PG running on Linux,
so this combination works and I think should not be much pain for you as
well.
Would be interesting to here real success story of happy marriage of
postgres and ADO.