Обсуждение: PostgreSQL coredump : Couldn't find any tables, sequences or indices!

PostgreSQL coredump : Couldn't find any tables, sequences or indices!

От
"Bruno BAGUETTE"
Дата:
re-Hello,

First, a little rectification, it's PostgreSQL 6.5.2 and not 6.5.3 as I
wrote in the last message...

Second : I've tried doing a vacuumdb of the database but it don't
changes anything... I'm still having the message "Couldn't find any
tables, sequences or indices!".  :-(

It looks like the PostgreSQL system tables are corrupted...

Any idea to fix that problem ?

---------------------------------------
Bruno BAGUETTE - pgsql-ml@baguette.net

Re: PostgreSQL coredump : Couldn't find any tables,

От
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Дата:
Simplest solution would seem to be restore from backup taken before the crash
and corruption.

--
Nigel Andrews

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Bruno BAGUETTE wrote:

> re-Hello,
>
> First, a little rectification, it's PostgreSQL 6.5.2 and not 6.5.3 as I
> wrote in the last message...
>
> Second : I've tried doing a vacuumdb of the database but it don't
> changes anything... I'm still having the message "Couldn't find any
> tables, sequences or indices!".  :-(
>
> It looks like the PostgreSQL system tables are corrupted...
>
> Any idea to fix that problem ?
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Bruno BAGUETTE - pgsql-ml@baguette.net

Tony Grant
Дата:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Bruno BAGUETTE wrote:
>
> > re-Hello,
> >
> > First, a little rectification, it's PostgreSQL 6.5.2 and not 6.5.3 as I
> > wrote in the last message...
> >
> > Second : I've tried doing a vacuumdb of the database but it don't
> > changes anything... I'm still having the message "Couldn't find any
> > tables, sequences or indices!".  :-(

1. don't touch anything  before making a copy of all directories on
another disk

2. attempt recovery from the copy

couple of years ago I think it was 6.5.2

4. things are much easier with 7.xx you really should upgrade.

Cheers

Tony Grant

RE : PostgreSQL coredump : Couldn't find any tables,

От
"Bruno BAGUETTE"
Дата:
re-Hello,

> 1. don't touch anything  before making a copy of all
> directories on another disk

I've a tar.gz of all the pgsql directories, so it's ok ! :-)

> 2. attempt recovery from the copy

I've already tried to do recovery using vacuumdb, but it don't changes
anything... And I can't use pg_restore because I don't have the dumps of
theses DB, only the PostgreSQL files.

> failure a couple of years ago I think it was 6.5.2

The archives in the www.postgresql.org don't return anything about my
problem with "recovery after hardware failure" or "recovery tony
grant"... By the way, can you give the month/year of the message ? (That
would be easier to find the message)

> 4. things are much easier with 7.xx you really should upgrade.

I would like to upgrade to 7.3.3 but I have first to get 6.5.2 running
in order to get the possibility to start a dump and to launch the
install into a PostgreSQL 7.3.3 server.

Thanks really much for your help ! :-)

-------------------------------------
Bruno BAGUETTE - pgsql-ml@baguette.net

Re: PostgreSQL coredump : Couldn't find any tables, sequences or indices!

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:59:17 +0200,
  Bruno BAGUETTE <pgsql-ml@baguette.net> wrote:
> re-Hello,
>
> First, a little rectification, it's PostgreSQL 6.5.2 and not 6.5.3 as I
> wrote in the last message...
>
> Second : I've tried doing a vacuumdb of the database but it don't
> changes anything... I'm still having the message "Couldn't find any
> tables, sequences or indices!".  :-(
>
> It looks like the PostgreSQL system tables are corrupted...
>
> Any idea to fix that problem ?

Can you recover from backups?

You really should upgrade to either 7.2.4 or 7.3.3.

RE : PostgreSQL coredump : Couldn't find any tables, sequences or indices!

От
"Bruno BAGUETTE"
Дата:
> > It looks like the PostgreSQL system tables are corrupted...
> >
> > Any idea to fix that problem ?
>
> Can you recover from backups?

In fact, it seems that there is no backup of this DB, but I've noticed
when I make a vacuumdb on the database, I see all the tables names that
appears on the vacuumdb output (verbose mode)...

But, after that vacuumdb, if I connect using psql to the database and
making \d, I'm still having the same error message : "Couldn't find any
tables, sequences or indices!".

Do you think that all the data is lost ?

> You really should upgrade to either 7.2.4 or 7.3.3.

If I success to recover theses datas, I will move them to a 7.3.3
database. In all case, I will urge the system administrator to install
the 7.3.3 PostgreSQL version.

Thanks really much for your help !

---------------------------------------
Bruno BAGUETTE - pgsql-ml@baguette.net

Re: RE : PostgreSQL coredump : Couldn't find any tables,

Дата:
"Bruno BAGUETTE" <pgsql-ml@baguette.net> writes:
> I would like to upgrade to 7.3.3 but I have first to get 6.5.2 running
> in order to get the possibility to start a dump and to launch the
> install into a PostgreSQL 7.3.3 server.

How large is pg_log?  If it's 1Gb in size or nearly that, then your
problem is that the transaction counter wrapped around.  I believe that
a couple of people have gotten out of such a fix by resetting the
counter to a few hundred transactions less than 4G, giving them time to
pg_dump before it wraps again.  I don't remember how to do it in such a
prehistoric version of Postgres, though.  Check the archives.

            regards, tom lane

Re: RE : PostgreSQL coredump : Couldn't find any tables,

От
Tony Grant
Дата:
On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 11:41, Bruno BAGUETTE wrote:

> > failure a couple of years ago I think it was 6.5.2
>
> The archives in the www.postgresql.org don't return anything about my
> problem with "recovery after hardware failure" or "recovery tony
> grant"... By the way, can you give the month/year of the message ? (That
> would be easier to find the message)

Justin when was that? =:-p

maybe in 2001 around juin or july

Cheers

Tony Grant
--
www.tgds.net Library management software toolkit,
redhat linux on Sony Vaio C1XD,

Re: RE : PostgreSQL coredump : Couldn't find any tables,

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Bruno BAGUETTE wrote:

> > > It looks like the PostgreSQL system tables are corrupted...
> > >
> > > Any idea to fix that problem ?
> >
> > Can you recover from backups?
>
> In fact, it seems that there is no backup of this DB, but I've noticed
> when I make a vacuumdb on the database, I see all the tables names that
> appears on the vacuumdb output (verbose mode)...
>
> But, after that vacuumdb, if I connect using psql to the database and
> making \d, I'm still having the same error message : "Couldn't find any
> tables, sequences or indices!".
>
> Do you think that all the data is lost ?
>
> > You really should upgrade to either 7.2.4 or 7.3.3.
>
> If I success to recover theses datas, I will move them to a 7.3.3
> database. In all case, I will urge the system administrator to install
> the 7.3.3 PostgreSQL version.

Have you tried something like 'select * from someknowntable' to see if
that works?  If so, then it could just be something wrong with the
descriptions of the tables, but the tables are still there.

I can almost remember what running 6.5.3 was like back in the day, but my
memory of that version is fading fast.

FYI Right now the postgresql developers are busily rushing to complete
their code changes for the 7.4 code freeze / beta test, so you might want
to wait til after july 1 and ask again.