Обсуждение: Error installing postgresql-7.3.2 (fixed, but Q remains...)

Error installing postgresql-7.3.2 (fixed, but Q remains...)

От
Jon Earle
Дата:
I tracked it down to the --disable-shared configure option.  Removed it
and it installed fine.  So.. assuming that I actually do want a statically
compiled version, it appears that the option to do so is broken, or I've
done something wrong.

Cheers!
Jon

--
Jon Earle

SAVE FARSCAPE http://www.savefarscape.com/

While it's okay to disagree with your friends and family, childish insults
do not express sovereignty.

Re: Error installing postgresql-7.3.2 (fixed, but Q remains...)

Дата:
Jon Earle <je_pgsql@kronos.honk.org> writes:
> I tracked it down to the --disable-shared configure option.  Removed it
> and it installed fine.  So.. assuming that I actually do want a statically
> compiled version, it appears that the option to do so is broken, or I've
> done something wrong.

--disable-shared is probably not a good idea anymore, seeing that there
is no provision to build the multibyte libraries any other way than
shared, and no option to not build them.

Should we take it out of configure?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Error installing postgresql-7.3.2 (fixed, but Q

От
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane writes:

> --disable-shared is probably not a good idea anymore, seeing that there
> is no provision to build the multibyte libraries any other way than
> shared, and no option to not build them.
>
> Should we take it out of configure?

Yes.  Apparently, that also puts the nail on the coffin for the QNX4 port,
since that one doesn't support shared libraries.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

[HELP] buffers and query's

От
"Cristina Surroca"
Дата:
Hi
I want do something that can seem a little bit strange: I'm doing a project
and I don't want that the executing plan was known by the system.
I've got many different query's and some of them are nearly similar. I have
to know how many time it takes to postgresql to do my project.

I've been looking for something similar to: alter system flush shared_pool,
used in Oracle system, but i haven't found nothing.

Does anybody have any idea to do this?

I  think the thing could be reset shared buffers, but I don't know how to do
it

yours

Cris..

Re: Error installing postgresql-7.3.2 (fixed, but Q

От
Jon Earle
Дата:
On Thu, 8 May 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jon Earle <je_pgsql@kronos.honk.org> writes:
> > I tracked it down to the --disable-shared configure option.  Removed it
> > and it installed fine.  So.. assuming that I actually do want a statically
> > compiled version, it appears that the option to do so is broken, or I've
> > done something wrong.
>
> --disable-shared is probably not a good idea anymore, seeing that there
> is no provision to build the multibyte libraries any other way than
> shared, and no option to not build them.
>
> Should we take it out of configure?

Hmm.. this could be problematic.  How then could one build binaries that
can be simply dropped onto nearly any system with assurances that it will
work?  If PGSQL were to be incorporated into a distributable application
where the installation just drops things into place, it could be installed
nearly anywhere (older linux system as well as newer ones) depending on
the particular end-user's configuration.

Cheers!
Jon

--
Jon Earle

SAVE FARSCAPE http://www.savefarscape.com/

While it's okay to disagree with your friends and family, childish insults
do not express sovereignty.

Re: Error installing postgresql-7.3.2 (fixed, but Q remains...)

Дата:
Jon Earle <je_pgsql@kronos.honk.org> writes:
> On Thu, 8 May 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Should we take it out of configure?

> Hmm.. this could be problematic.  How then could one build binaries that
> can be simply dropped onto nearly any system with assurances that it will
> work?

If you mean "drop them into nearly any random place in the filesystem",
the answer is you can't.  Not relying on shared libraries would do
little to improve the situation.  BINDIR and PKGLIBDIR are both
hard-wired into various executables, and there may be other installation
paths hard-wired as well.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Error installing postgresql-7.3.2 (fixed, but Q

От
Jon Earle
Дата:
On Mon, 12 May 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jon Earle <je_pgsql@kronos.honk.org> writes:
> > On Thu, 8 May 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Should we take it out of configure?
>
> > Hmm.. this could be problematic.  How then could one build binaries that
> > can be simply dropped onto nearly any system with assurances that it will
> > work?
>
> If you mean "drop them into nearly any random place in the filesystem",
> the answer is you can't.  Not relying on shared libraries would do
> little to improve the situation.  BINDIR and PKGLIBDIR are both
> hard-wired into various executables, and there may be other installation
> paths hard-wired as well.

No, not quite what I meant.  I mean, if I want to drop it onto a Suse box,
or an Older RH installation, or someone's customized Gentoo, or some such,
where the shared libs might be different versions, I'd have some trouble,
yes?  OTOH, a statically built version could be plopped onto virtually
anything out there (within reason of course).

Cheers!
Jon