Re: Error installing postgresql-7.3.2 (fixed, but Q

От Jon Earle
Тема Re: Error installing postgresql-7.3.2 (fixed, but Q
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 8 May 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jon Earle <je_pgsql@kronos.honk.org> writes:
> > I tracked it down to the --disable-shared configure option.  Removed it
> > and it installed fine.  So.. assuming that I actually do want a statically
> > compiled version, it appears that the option to do so is broken, or I've
> > done something wrong.
>
> --disable-shared is probably not a good idea anymore, seeing that there
> is no provision to build the multibyte libraries any other way than
> shared, and no option to not build them.
>
> Should we take it out of configure?

Hmm.. this could be problematic.  How then could one build binaries that
can be simply dropped onto nearly any system with assurances that it will
work?  If PGSQL were to be incorporated into a distributable application
where the installation just drops things into place, it could be installed
nearly anywhere (older linux system as well as newer ones) depending on
the particular end-user's configuration.

Cheers!
Jon

--
Jon Earle

SAVE FARSCAPE http://www.savefarscape.com/

While it's okay to disagree with your friends and family, childish insults
do not express sovereignty.