Обсуждение: Mailing list archive feature request

Mailing list archive feature request

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
I occasionally find I want to add more to a thread after I have deleted
all of my copies of messages in that thread. While I can get the subject
and bodies of a message from the archives, it would be convenient to be
able to get a copy of a message resent to me, so that new messages I
add to the thread will have the appropiate references headers.

Re: Mailing list archive feature request

Дата:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> I occasionally find I want to add more to a thread after I have deleted
> all of my copies of messages in that thread. While I can get the subject
> and bodies of a message from the archives, it would be convenient to be
> able to get a copy of a message resent to me, so that new messages I
> add to the thread will have the appropiate references headers.

That's a tough one. The only idea I have is to download the actual email
message from the archives site, then point your email client at that
file and have it read it as a mailbox.  You can then reply to the email
you want.

Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 13:38:08 -0500,
  Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> That's a tough one. The only idea I have is to download the actual email
> message from the archives site, then point your email client at that
> file and have it read it as a mailbox.  You can then reply to the email
> you want.

I forgot about the raw message archives. I was looking at the Mhonarch stuff.
I did notice that some headers are recorded in the web pages in a way
that isn't visible unless you look at the source. I was able to get what
I think was a correct message ID this way. Though editing the html out of
the message was a pain.

I just took a look and didn't see an obvious link to the raw archives, but
I seem to remember seeing them in the past (though I might be remembering
something from another open source project).

I will also look to see if the mailing list manager has a way to get old
messages. I had forgotten about that possibility.

Thanks.

Re: Mailing list archive feature request

От
elein
Дата:
You may also want to see if the thread was covered in one
of my items on General Bits. (http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits).
If you have a correction to something I've published, I'd surely like
to see and publish it.

Also, since my column is weekly, it is possible
I've not yet published information about a thread. If you want
to suggest that I cover a specific thread with clarification, I
encourage you to suggest that to me.  Just drop me a note.

elein
elein@varlena.com
http://www.varlena.com

On Saturday 11 January 2003 10:13, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> I occasionally find I want to add more to a thread after I have deleted
> all of my copies of messages in that thread. While I can get the subject
> and bodies of a message from the archives, it would be convenient to be
> able to get a copy of a message resent to me, so that new messages I
> add to the thread will have the appropiate references headers.

Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 13:38:08 -0500,
  Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > I occasionally find I want to add more to a thread after I have deleted
> > all of my copies of messages in that thread. While I can get the subject
> > and bodies of a message from the archives, it would be convenient to be
> > able to get a copy of a message resent to me, so that new messages I
> > add to the thread will have the appropiate references headers.
>
> That's a tough one. The only idea I have is to download the actual email
> message from the archives site, then point your email client at that
> file and have it read it as a mailbox.  You can then reply to the email
> you want.

Thanks for getting me started down the right track. For the benefit of anyone
else who cares this is how you do things:

All messages are sent to majordomo@postgresql.org .
All commands are in the body of the messages. The subject isn't used.

First you need to get your password. If you don't have it send the command
password-show

And reply to the confirmation message with the body of the reply being
"accept".

To get an index of messages in the archive you use the archive-index command.
You might do something like:
approve my_password archive-index pgsql-sql 20030109
to get a summary of messages sent from the list on 2003-01-09.

Then to get particular messages you use the archive-get command.
For example:
approve my_password archive-get pgsql-sql 200301/143
could be used to get the 143rd message sent from the list in January of 2003.
Both a confirmation and a copy of the message are sent separately, so that
the list message will be handled normal by your mail filters.

Re: Mailing list archive feature request

От
Michelle Konzack
Дата:
Hello,

Am 13:38 2003-01-11 -0500 hat Bruce Momjian geschrieben:

>Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> I occasionally find I want to add more to a thread after I have deleted
>> all of my copies of messages in that thread. While I can get the subject
>> and bodies of a message from the archives, it would be convenient to be
>> able to get a copy of a message resent to me, so that new messages I
>> add to the thread will have the appropiate references headers.
>
>That's a tough one. The only idea I have is to download the actual email
>message from the archives site, then point your email client at that
>file and have it read it as a mailbox.  You can then reply to the email
>you want.

Never I have used the archives, but are the mails wit all Headers ?
And Text only ?

Then point a webdownloader to the link and download the Mails...

After this, use falmail + procmail to get it into your folders...

Michelle