Обсуждение: PostgreSQL dirver?

PostgreSQL dirver?

От
Mayan
Дата:
I have taken the task of installing and investigating PostgreSQL.

Using Debian's 'apt-get', I have installed PostgreSQL, this had
the advantage of a brainless and quick installation. I was able to
create a database in literally seconds after creating my account.
However, it has a drawback; I have no idea where the application
was installed nor where any of the help files are, for that I have
to do a more in depth research of the Debian's file system. But if
anyone here can give some hints it will be very, and I mean VERY
MUCH appreciated.
For the time being though, I am installing "Qt-3.0.0". To do this
I need to specify what sql driver I want to use to hook
up future applications to the PostgreSQL database. So, my question
is: what would be the driver, if any, that I have to specify in the
'./configure' '-qt-sql-<driver>' parameter?

Thanks in advancer

Re: PostgreSQL dirver?

От
"Nick Fankhauser"

>I have no idea where the application
> was installed nor where any of the help files are, for that I have
> to do a more in depth research of the Debian's file system. But if
> anyone here can give some hints it will be very, and I mean VERY
> MUCH appreciated.

In Debian (V7.1 of PGSQL):
The executables, docs, etc live in /usr/lib/postgresql/
The .conf files live in /etc/postgresql/
The data lives in /var/lib/postgres/data/

> For the time being though, I am installing "Qt-3.0.0". To do this
> I need to specify what sql driver I want to use to hook

What is Qt? does it need a JDBC driver? DBD? ODBC?

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/

Re: PostgreSQL dirver?

От
Jason Earl
Дата:
Yes, this is a little disconcerting.  Debian installs
PostgreSQL according the the Linux Filesystem
Hierarchy Standard, which means that instead of one
/usr/local/postgresql directory you get various files
scattered all over the place.  However, once you learn
a little bit more about the FHS you will see that it
mostly makes sense.  More importantly, you can easily
query the system to find out where it installed the
various files.  Try typing in 'dpkg -L postgresql'.

You can also do apt-cache search postgresql to see
what other packages have something to do with
postgresql.  I would especially recommend the
postgresql-doc package.

The documentation for any given package is generally
found in /usr/share/doc/package-name, and most
packages have a Debian specific README with some
useful hints.  The actual databases are stored in
/var/lib/postgres and the configuration files in
/etc/postgresql .

I personally find the Debian PostgreSQL packages to be
amazingly well done, and I have happily turned the
maintenance of this package over to Oliver :).  Make
sure you get the most recent packages, however.
Debian Stable still has PostgreSQL 6.5.3, and with 7.2
currently in beta you don't want to be developing with
6.5.3.

Jason

--- Mayan <escalante@canada.com> wrote:
> I have taken the task of installing and
> investigating PostgreSQL.
>
> Using Debian's 'apt-get', I have installed
> PostgreSQL, this had
> the advantage of a brainless and quick installation.
> I was able to
> create a database in literally seconds after
> creating my account.
> However, it has a drawback; I have no idea where the
> application
> was installed nor where any of the help files are,
> for that I have
> to do a more in depth research of the Debian's file
> system. But if
> anyone here can give some hints it will be very, and
> I mean VERY
> MUCH appreciated.
> For the time being though, I am installing
> "Qt-3.0.0". To do this
> I need to specify what sql driver I want to use to
> hook
> up future applications to the PostgreSQL database.
> So, my question
> is: what would be the driver, if any, that I have to
> specify in the
> './configure' '-qt-sql-<driver>' parameter?
>
> Thanks in advancer
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the
> unregister command
majordomo@postgresql.org)

http://personals.yahoo.com

Re: PostgreSQL dirver?

От
"Tille, Andreas"
Дата:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Jason Earl wrote:

> I personally find the Debian PostgreSQL packages to be
> amazingly well done, and I have happily turned the
> maintenance of this package over to Oliver :).  Make
> sure you get the most recent packages, however.
> Debian Stable still has PostgreSQL 6.5.3, and with 7.2
> currently in beta you don't want to be developing with
> 6.5.3.
Perhaps you should consider using testing/woody which has
PostgreSQL 7.1.3.  If you do not count yourself belongig to
the group of "very beginner" it might be safe if you do not
use for a mission critical production systeme.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

Re: PostgreSQL dirver?

От
miquels@cistron-office.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Дата:
In article <Pine.LNX.4.33.0111011146510.21752-100000@wr-linux02.rki.ivbb.bund.de>,
Tille, Andreas <TilleA@rki.de> wrote:
>Perhaps you should consider using testing/woody which has
>PostgreSQL 7.1.3.  If you do not count yourself belongig to
>the group of "very beginner" it might be safe if you do not
>use for a mission critical production systeme.

Oh, even "unstable" is being used on mission critical production systems
in several places I know of. As long as you first test it on
a staging machine instead of blindly upgrading a production
system there's not much that can go wrong.

Mike.
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.

Re: PostgreSQL dirver?

От
Jason Earl
Дата:
You bring up an excellent point.  I should have been
more clear.  I *do* use Debian unstable for my
PostgreSQL server.  And I personally have found the
"unstable" monniker to be a bit of a misnomer.  Debian
Unstable has been very kind to me.

Of course, I have a development server that I test all
new updates on first, but even that machine has been
very stable.

The original poster seemed to be relatively new to
Debian (he didn't know how to check where PostgreSQL
was installed), and so I was trying to be helpful.
Debian Stable is useful for a great many things, but
it's version of PostgreSQL is too old.  PostgreSQL has
come a long way since 6.5.3, and anyone just starting
to use PostgreSQL shouldn't be starting with what
Debian Stable provides.  In PostgreSQL's case the
version supplied in the "stable" distribution is a lot
less stable than the one provided in testing or
unstable.

Just a word to the wise for anyone wanting to use
Oliver Elphick's fabulous Debian packages.

Thanks Oliver!

Jason

--- "Tille, Andreas" <TilleA@rki.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Jason Earl wrote:
>
> > I personally find the Debian PostgreSQL packages
> to be
> > amazingly well done, and I have happily turned the
> > maintenance of this package over to Oliver :).
> Make
> > sure you get the most recent packages, however.
> > Debian Stable still has PostgreSQL 6.5.3, and with
> 7.2
> > currently in beta you don't want to be developing
> with
> > 6.5.3.
> Perhaps you should consider using testing/woody
> which has
> PostgreSQL 7.1.3.  If you do not count yourself
> belongig to
> the group of "very beginner" it might be safe if you
> do not
> use for a mission critical production systeme.
>
> Kind regards
>
>          Andreas.

http://personals.yahoo.com

Re: PostgreSQL dirver?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 11:50:01AM +0100, Tille, Andreas wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Jason Earl wrote:

> > Debian Stable still has PostgreSQL 6.5.3, and with 7.2
> > currently in beta you don't want to be developing with
> > 6.5.3.

> Perhaps you should consider using testing/woody which has
> PostgreSQL 7.1.3.

I belive there are 7.1.3 packages for potato, as well, in case you
_are_ using a production system:

    http://people.debian.org/~elphick/postgresql/potato.html

--
----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue

Re: PostgreSQL dirver?

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Mayan wrote:
  >I have taken the task of installing and investigating PostgreSQL.
  >
  >Using Debian's 'apt-get', I have installed PostgreSQL, this had
  >the advantage of a brainless and quick installation. I was able to
  >create a database in literally seconds after creating my account.
  >However, it has a drawback; I have no idea where the application
  >was installed nor where any of the help files are, for that I have
  >to do a more in depth research of the Debian's file system. But if
  >anyone here can give some hints it will be very, and I mean VERY
  >MUCH appreciated.

To list the files for any package, do:

dpkg -L package

The basic documentation for any package is in /usr/share/doc/package;
many packages with extensive documentation split the documentation off
into separate packages; PostgreSQL does this.

PostgreSQL docs are in the package postgresql-doc; printable docs are
in packages pgdocs-pdf, pgdocs-ps and pgdocs-ps-a4 (PDF, Postscript
for American paper and Postscript for A4) (Debian testing/unstable
only).

  >For the time being though, I am installing "Qt-3.0.0". To do this
  >I need to specify what sql driver I want to use to hook
  >up future applications to the PostgreSQL database. So, my question
  >is: what would be the driver, if any, that I have to specify in the
  >'./configure' '-qt-sql-<driver>' parameter?

Qt is a C++ library.  The PostgreSQL library libpq++ provides C++
classes, but I don't know how well tested they are.  (I don't know anyone
that uses them.)  The C library is libpq.  The libraries are provided
by the package libpgsql2.1 and the header files by postgresql-dev.
You can also use ECPG (libecpg3 and postgresql-dev).

All this information is relevant to testing/unstable.  Stable currently
contains 6.5.3, which I do not recommend.  If you want packages of
7.1 for stable, go to http://people.debian.org/~elphick/postgresql.
This currently contains binaries of 7.1; I hope to update it to
7.1.3 shortly.

     "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their
      strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles;
      they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk,
      and not faint."            Isaiah 40:31