Re: PostgreSQL dirver?

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: PostgreSQL dirver?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Mayan wrote:
  >I have taken the task of installing and investigating PostgreSQL.
  >
  >Using Debian's 'apt-get', I have installed PostgreSQL, this had
  >the advantage of a brainless and quick installation. I was able to
  >create a database in literally seconds after creating my account.
  >However, it has a drawback; I have no idea where the application
  >was installed nor where any of the help files are, for that I have
  >to do a more in depth research of the Debian's file system. But if
  >anyone here can give some hints it will be very, and I mean VERY
  >MUCH appreciated.

To list the files for any package, do:

dpkg -L package

The basic documentation for any package is in /usr/share/doc/package;
many packages with extensive documentation split the documentation off
into separate packages; PostgreSQL does this.

PostgreSQL docs are in the package postgresql-doc; printable docs are
in packages pgdocs-pdf, pgdocs-ps and pgdocs-ps-a4 (PDF, Postscript
for American paper and Postscript for A4) (Debian testing/unstable
only).

  >For the time being though, I am installing "Qt-3.0.0". To do this
  >I need to specify what sql driver I want to use to hook
  >up future applications to the PostgreSQL database. So, my question
  >is: what would be the driver, if any, that I have to specify in the
  >'./configure' '-qt-sql-<driver>' parameter?

Qt is a C++ library.  The PostgreSQL library libpq++ provides C++
classes, but I don't know how well tested they are.  (I don't know anyone
that uses them.)  The C library is libpq.  The libraries are provided
by the package libpgsql2.1 and the header files by postgresql-dev.
You can also use ECPG (libecpg3 and postgresql-dev).

All this information is relevant to testing/unstable.  Stable currently
contains 6.5.3, which I do not recommend.  If you want packages of
7.1 for stable, go to http://people.debian.org/~elphick/postgresql.
This currently contains binaries of 7.1; I hope to update it to
7.1.3 shortly.

     "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their
      strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles;
      they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk,
      and not faint."            Isaiah 40:31