Обсуждение: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Дата:
I was going to suggest this last week amd now it looks like it might be
more important.  (There was a namserver problem with this account soI
never got Bruce's original post - just the replys/follow-ups.)

Well since I got layed off last December it has been interesting trying
to find employment in the wilds of north Idaho and eastern Washington
(USA).  Moving isn't an option at this time so I've been doing the
Internet job search thingy.  A few months ago the perl programming
community set up a mailing list for sending out job announcements to
those interested and a website (jobs.perl.org) if you just want to
search. The nice thing about it is there have been several telecommute
jobs - plus many onsite jobs.

With a background in database design, a proclivity for perl, and needing
employment I was thinking a similar set up for the PostgreSQL community
would be ideal.
   I didn't see anything on the PostgreSQL web site and I've never seen
mention of a similar type of service.  Would this be of interest to the
community?

Cheers,
Rod
--
                      A small clue and no money
                      will get you further than

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
"Joe Conway"
Дата:
> those interested and a website (jobs.perl.org) if you just want to
> search. The nice thing about it is there have been several telecommute
> jobs - plus many onsite jobs.
>
> With a background in database design, a proclivity for perl, and needing
> employment I was thinking a similar set up for the PostgreSQL community
> would be ideal.
>    I didn't see anything on the PostgreSQL web site and I've never seen
> mention of a similar type of service.  Would this be of interest to the
> community?

Well, there's already this:
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/jobs.php

But it currently has no listings :(

Joe

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
wsheldah@lexmark.com

One of the things on the TODO list at jobs.perl.org is to make it "themable,"
with jobs.apache.org given as an example.  Perhaps a jobs.postgresql.org could
be set up in conjunction with them?

Wes

"Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders%tincan.org@interlock.lexmark.com> on 09/07/2001
10:42:42 AM

cc:    (bcc: Wesley Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark)
Subject:  [GENERAL] Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

[...]

Дата:
On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Joe Conway wrote:

> Well, there's already this:
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/jobs.php

Duh!

> But it currently has no listings :(

Nobody must need database (PostgreSQL) developers eh?  Could be this
isn't advertised well.

Rod
--
                      A small clue and no money
                      will get you further than

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
"Thomas T. Thai"
Дата:
On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Joe Conway wrote:
>
> > Well, there's already this:
> > http://techdocs.postgresql.org/jobs.php

try clicking on the login or register.. it doesn't work. maybe that's why?

> Duh!
>
> > But it currently has no listings :(
>
> Nobody must need database (PostgreSQL) developers eh?  Could be this
> isn't advertised well.
>

> Rod
> --
>                       A small clue and no money
>                       will get you further than
>                       lots of money and no clue.

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi Guys,

It is definitely something interesting, and there are a fair few
PostgreSQL jobs out there.

The address Joe mentioned is correct, I'm just so short of time now I
haven't been able to do much in the way of site maintenance recently, so
that page hasn't been updated in ages.

:(

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Joe Conway wrote:

> > those interested and a website (jobs.perl.org) if you just want to
> > search. The nice thing about it is there have been several telecommute
> > jobs - plus many onsite jobs.
> >
> > With a background in database design, a proclivity for perl, and needing
> > employment I was thinking a similar set up for the PostgreSQL community
> > would be ideal.
> >    I didn't see anything on the PostgreSQL web site and I've never seen
> > mention of a similar type of service.  Would this be of interest to the
> > community?
> >

> Well, there's already this:
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/jobs.php
>
> But it currently has no listings :(
>
> Joe

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> It is definitely something interesting, and there are a fair few
> PostgreSQL jobs out there.
>
> The address Joe mentioned is correct, I'm just so short of time now I
> haven't been able to do much in the way of site maintenance recently, so
> that page hasn't been updated in ages.

If you want we can merge jobs into the main site for now.

Vince.

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Justin Clift wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > It is definitely something interesting, and there are a fair few
> > PostgreSQL jobs out there.
> >
> > The address Joe mentioned is correct, I'm just so short of time now I
> > haven't been able to do much in the way of site maintenance recently, so
> > that page hasn't been updated in ages.
>
> If you want we can merge jobs into the main site for now.

Sounds good to me.  When it's up, the jobs page is the third most
popular techdocs page people visit.  The hardest part I've found is
knowing when jobs have been filled, because people routinely "forget" to
say when.

An attitude I've found dissapointing is the weird belief a number of
agencies have that there must be "some kind of catch" to putting their
PostgreSQL related jobs online for free.  No charge, no banner
advertising, etc.  You'd think they'd never heard of "Community Spirit".

A lot of the stuff I do on the techdocs site is "lets see if this works
and is beneficial".  The jobs section was and is, and so I'm happy for
it to become something more, main site, sub-domain, whatever.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Vince.
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
>          56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Justin Clift wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Justin Clift wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > It is definitely something interesting, and there are a fair few
> > > PostgreSQL jobs out there.
> > >
> > > The address Joe mentioned is correct, I'm just so short of time now I
> > > haven't been able to do much in the way of site maintenance recently, so
> > > that page hasn't been updated in ages.
> >
> > If you want we can merge jobs into the main site for now.
>

> Sounds good to me.  When it's up, the jobs page is the third most
> popular techdocs page people visit.  The hardest part I've found is
> knowing when jobs have been filled, because people routinely "forget" to
> say when.
>
> An attitude I've found dissapointing is the weird belief a number of
> agencies have that there must be "some kind of catch" to putting their
> PostgreSQL related jobs online for free.  No charge, no banner
> advertising, etc.  You'd think they'd never heard of "Community Spirit".

We can talk to Marc, but we can set it up as 1) someone looking for work
gets a free listing, 2) a company looking for someone gets a free listing,
but 3) a headhunter pays $10/listing - or "donates" it to postgresql.org
or run it thru pgsql.com of if neither do we can run it thru libpq.com.

> A lot of the stuff I do on the techdocs site is "lets see if this works
> and is beneficial".  The jobs section was and is, and so I'm happy for
> it to become something more, main site, sub-domain, whatever.

That's where idocs came from.  Now when it doesn't work my mailbox fills
up quickly!

Vince.

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> We can talk to Marc, but we can set it up as 1) someone looking for
> work gets a free listing, 2) a company looking for someone gets a free
> listing, but 3) a headhunter pays $10/listing - or "donates" it to
> postgresql.org or run it thru pgsql.com of if neither do we can run it
> thru libpq.com.

Since its sort of dead right now, why don't set just setup a
jobs.postgresql.org site that allows ppl to a) post resumes and b) post
jobs ... I would personally rather encouraging posting of both to show a
vibrant PgSQL marketplace then discourage it ...

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
> > We can talk to Marc, but we can set it up as 1) someone looking for
> > work gets a free listing, 2) a company looking for someone gets a free
> > listing, but 3) a headhunter pays $10/listing - or "donates" it to
> > postgresql.org or run it thru pgsql.com of if neither do we can run it
> > thru libpq.com.
>
> Since its sort of dead right now, why don't set just setup a
> jobs.postgresql.org site that allows ppl to a) post resumes and b) post
> jobs ... I would personally rather encouraging posting of both to show a
> vibrant PgSQL marketplace then discourage it ...

Sounds good to me.

I believe we should wait a few weeks though.  The resources we have for
doing site work at the moment are kind of committed to things, and it
will take a while to introduce new people, etc.

I'm all for adding listings of jobs, but I'm not sure if listing people
who are looking around is a good idea.

I definitely believe we should allow agencies to list their jobs at no
charge.  Just because they're into business doesn't mean we have to take
a cut of it.  This should also mean they feel more comfortable about
posting PostgreSQL jobs, and thereby benefits our community.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
"Randy Hall"
Дата:
A site like this would be great for all of us ex-Great Bridge people.
--
Randy Hall - Red Hat Certified Engineer
Resume: http://members.home.net/rthall3

> > On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> >
> > > We can talk to Marc, but we can set it up as 1) someone looking for
> > > work gets a free listing, 2) a company looking for someone gets a free
> > > listing, but 3) a headhunter pays $10/listing - or "donates" it to
> > > postgresql.org or run it thru pgsql.com of if neither do we can run it
> > > thru libpq.com.
> >
> > Since its sort of dead right now, why don't set just setup a
> > jobs.postgresql.org site that allows ppl to a) post resumes and b) post
> > jobs ... I would personally rather encouraging posting of both to show a
> > vibrant PgSQL marketplace then discourage it ...
>
> Sounds good to me.
>
> I believe we should wait a few weeks though.  The resources we have for
> doing site work at the moment are kind of committed to things, and it
> will take a while to introduce new people, etc.
>
> I'm all for adding listings of jobs, but I'm not sure if listing people
> who are looking around is a good idea.
>
> I definitely believe we should allow agencies to list their jobs at no
> charge.  Just because they're into business doesn't mean we have to take
> a cut of it.  This should also mean they feel more comfortable about
> posting PostgreSQL jobs, and thereby benefits our community.
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>
> --

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Gunnar Rønning
Дата:
* "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

| Since its sort of dead right now, why don't set just setup a
| jobs.postgresql.org site that allows ppl to a) post resumes and b) post
| jobs ... I would personally rather encouraging posting of both to show a
| vibrant PgSQL marketplace then discourage it ...

What about listings of companies doing consulting work on applications
based on PostgreSQL ?

Our company has done several applications on top of PostgreSQL for different,
but some additional marketing would be nice. Especially in these times
when the Internet economy is not at full strength ;-)

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi Gunnar,

Hmmm... that would be a PostgreSQL Consulting Companies page.

No problem, sounds like a good idea.

:-)

So, who wants their company mentioned?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Gunnar Rønning wrote:

> * "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:
> |
> | Since its sort of dead right now, why don't set just setup a
> | jobs.postgresql.org site that allows ppl to a) post resumes and b) post
> | jobs ... I would personally rather encouraging posting of both to show a
> | vibrant PgSQL marketplace then discourage it ...
>
> What about listings of companies doing consulting work on applications
> based on PostgreSQL ?
>
> Our company has done several applications on top of PostgreSQL for different,
> but some additional marketing would be nice. Especially in these times
> when the Internet economy is not at full strength ;-)
>
> --
> Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
> Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Justin Clift wrote:

> I definitely believe we should allow agencies to list their jobs at no
> charge.  Just because they're into business doesn't mean we have to take
> a cut of it.  This should also mean they feel more comfortable about
> posting PostgreSQL jobs, and thereby benefits our community.

My comment was because you said they were uncomfortable with no charge
for posting.  If it makes them feel better or will keep them from posting,
let them donate.

Vince.

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Sorry Vince,

My mistake.  I must have worded that badly.

What I mean is that some Agencies find it difficult to believe that we
would actually assist them in looking for candidates, especially
directly to a targeted audience, without demanding to be paid for the
effort.

Once they understand we're doing this for the benefit of the PostgreSQL
Community, they're cool with it.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Justin Clift wrote:
>
> > I definitely believe we should allow agencies to list their jobs at no
> > charge.  Just because they're into business doesn't mean we have to take
> > a cut of it.  This should also mean they feel more comfortable about
> > posting PostgreSQL jobs, and thereby benefits our community.
>
> My comment was because you said they were uncomfortable with no charge
> for posting.  If it makes them feel better or will keep them from posting,
> let them donate.
>
> Vince.
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
>          56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Justin Clift wrote:

> Sorry Vince,
>
> My mistake.  I must have worded that badly.
>
> What I mean is that some Agencies find it difficult to believe that we
> would actually assist them in looking for candidates, especially
> directly to a targeted audience, without demanding to be paid for the
> effort.
>
> Once they understand we're doing this for the benefit of the PostgreSQL
> Community, they're cool with it.

OOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh!

Now that makes more sense!

Vince.

Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Gunnar Rønning
Дата:
* Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:

| So, who wants their company mentioned?

;-)

Polygnosis AS is a consulting company based in Oslo, Norway. The
services we offer on the PostgreSQL platform include application
development, database administration, datamigration, etc.
We're available for work in the entire European region either onsite or
by telecommuting.
Contact : info@polygnosis.com, http://www.polygnosis.com/