Обсуждение: backup with blobs

backup with blobs

От
Peter Pilsl
Дата:
I'm currently using postgreSQL 7.0.2 and have big tables with a lot of
blobs.  pg_dump does not cover this blobs.

When my system crashes or when I want to migrate to 7.1, will a pure
file-backup be enough or will I have to write my own tools for backup
and restore of this blobs and their oid's in the corresponding tables.

thnx,
peter

--
mag. peter pilsl

phone: +43 676 3574035
fax  : +43 676 3546512
email: pilsl@goldfisch.at
sms  : pilsl@max.mail.at

pgp-key available

Re: backup with blobs

Дата:
Peter Pilsl <pilsl@goldfisch.at> writes:
> I'm currently using postgreSQL 7.0.2 and have big tables with a lot of
> blobs.  pg_dump does not cover this blobs.

> When my system crashes or when I want to migrate to 7.1, will a pure
> file-backup be enough or will I have to write my own tools for backup
> and restore of this blobs and their oid's in the corresponding tables.

No need to re-invent the wheel; use the attached.

BTW, 7.1's pg_dump is capable of dumping BLOBs.  There has been talk of
hacking it up so that it could be used against a 7.0 database, which
would probably be a nicer solution than the attached code, but AFAIK
that's not done yet.

problems with pg_dumplo (was Re: backup with blobs)

От
Peter Pilsl
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 06:07:33PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Pilsl <pilsl@goldfisch.at> writes:
> > I'm currently using postgreSQL 7.0.2 and have big tables with a lot of
> > blobs.  pg_dump does not cover this blobs.
>
> > When my system crashes or when I want to migrate to 7.1, will a pure
> > file-backup be enough or will I have to write my own tools for backup
> > and restore of this blobs and their oid's in the corresponding tables.
>
> No need to re-invent the wheel; use the attached.

Thanx to Tom for this great tool. Unfortunately it does not work in my
testenvironment.
When importing the blobs again, I always get the following error:

lupo:/tmp/pgdump_lo # pg_dumplo -i -d peter -s ./ -u user -p pass
66611   blobtest        lo_oid  peter/blobtest/lo_oid/66611
66707   blobtest        lo_oid  peter/blobtest/lo_oid/66707
66867   blobtest        lo_oid  peter/blobtest/lo_oid/66867
<skip approx.10 lines>
70579   blobtest        lo_oid  peter/blobtest/lo_oid/70579
70643   blobtest        lo_oid  peter/blobtest/lo_oid/70643
pg_dumplo: lo_import: can't create inv object for ".//peter/blobtest/lo_oid/70643"

pg_dumplo: ROLLBACK

When I comment the 70653-blob in the index-file, the error will come
up at the next blob. When I try very often, the error will come up at
an earlier blob or later.

Splitting the indexfile and running pg_dumplo -i on each chunk solves
the problem.

Anyone has any idea ? Is there any webpage about this tool or should I
contact the author ?

thnx,
peter

--
mag. peter pilsl

phone: +43 676 3574035
fax  : +43 676 3546512
email: pilsl@goldfisch.at
sms  : pilsl@max.mail.at

pgp-key available

Re: problems with pg_dumplo (was Re: backup with blobs)

Дата:
Peter Pilsl <pilsl@goldfisch.at> writes:
> pg_dumplo: lo_import: can't create inv object for ".//peter/blobtest/lo_oid/70643"

> When I comment the 70653-blob in the index-file, the error will come
> up at the next blob. When I try very often, the error will come up at
> an earlier blob or later.

Hmm.  About how many blobs are you able to import before the error
happens?

I believe that 7.0.* and before have some (platform dependent) limits on
the number of large objects touched in a single transaction.  It could
be that that's what you're running up against.  This problem is gone in
7.1.

            regards, tom lane

Re: problems with pg_dumplo (was Re: backup with blobs)

От
Peter Pilsl
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 08:41:14PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Pilsl <pilsl@goldfisch.at> writes:
> > pg_dumplo: lo_import: can't create inv object for ".//peter/blobtest/lo_oid/70643"
>
> > When I comment the 70653-blob in the index-file, the error will come
> > up at the next blob. When I try very often, the error will come up at
> > an earlier blob or later.
>
> Hmm.  About how many blobs are you able to import before the error
> happens?
>
> I believe that 7.0.* and before have some (platform dependent) limits on
> the number of large objects touched in a single transaction.  It could
> be that that's what you're running up against.  This problem is gone in
> 7.1.

It depends ... from 5 to 15 I guess. I'll write a wrapper around to
split the stuff in small chunks and post it here if I get it to work ...

Problem is: I need a working blob-backup before migrating to 7.1 or
I'll loose em while upgrading (There are 1000's of blobs I need to process here ...)

thnx,
peter

--
mag. peter pilsl

phone: +43 676 3574035
fax  : +43 676 3546512
email: pilsl@goldfisch.at
sms  : pilsl@max.mail.at

pgp-key available

Re: problems with pg_dumplo (was Re: backup with blobs)

Дата:
Peter Pilsl <pilsl@goldfisch.at> writes:
>> Hmm.  About how many blobs are you able to import before the error
>> happens?

> It depends ... from 5 to 15 I guess.

Only that many?  Something's broken then.  The limits I was thinking of
were on the order of thousands of blobs touched in a transaction.

There is probably additional info about the error showing up in the
postmaster log; would you look there and see what it says?

            regards, tom lane

Re: problems with pg_dumplo (was Re: backup with blobs)

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 02:12:23AM +0200, Peter Pilsl wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 06:07:33PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > No need to re-invent the wheel; use the attached.
> >

> Thanx to Tom for this great tool.

 Sure :-)

> Unfortunately it does not work in my testenvironment.
> When importing the blobs again, I always get the following error:
>
> lupo:/tmp/pgdump_lo # pg_dumplo -i -d peter -s ./ -u user -p pass
> 66611   blobtest        lo_oid  peter/blobtest/lo_oid/66611
> 66707   blobtest        lo_oid  peter/blobtest/lo_oid/66707
> 66867   blobtest        lo_oid  peter/blobtest/lo_oid/66867
> <skip approx.10 lines>
> 70579   blobtest        lo_oid  peter/blobtest/lo_oid/70579
> 70643   blobtest        lo_oid  peter/blobtest/lo_oid/70643
> pg_dumplo: lo_import: can't create inv object for ".//peter/blobtest/lo_oid/70643"
>
> pg_dumplo: ROLLBACK

 What do you do before this import?

 pg_dumplo -i (without -r) add *new* LO to DB and update LO oid in some
tab.attr only. The option '-r' remove old LO and import new.

Try:

 pg_dumplo -a -d my_db -s /my_dump/dir

 pg_dump [with relevant options for your DB] > my.dump

 DROP DATABASE my_db;

 CREATE DATABASE my_db;

 psql my_db < my.dump

 pg_dumplo -i -d my_db -s /my_dump/dir

            Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>
 http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/

 C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz, http://mape.jcu.cz

Re: problems with pg_dumplo (was Re: backup with blobs)

От
Peter Pilsl
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 10:27:11AM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:

> > Thanx to Tom for this great tool.
>
>  Sure :-)

sorry !! I ment to say, Thnx for giving this tool to me. Even more
thanx for writing this great tool to you !! :)

>  pg_dumplo -i (without -r) add *new* LO to DB and update LO oid in some
> tab.attr only. The option '-r' remove old LO and import new.
>
> Try:
>
>  pg_dumplo -a -d my_db -s /my_dump/dir
>  pg_dump [with relevant options for your DB] > my.dump
>  DROP DATABASE my_db;
>  CREATE DATABASE my_db;
>  psql my_db < my.dump
>  pg_dumplo -i -d my_db -s /my_dump/dir

when working on an own database things works perfect. However I have a
reproduceable problem on a different database when importing blobs
into a single table while the old blobs still existing (no matter if
using -r or not)

However: the problem is not happening on a new created database, so
maybe there is a problem on my system.

I will install 7.1 on a different machine and try if I can import all
my data before migrating to 7.1 on a production-server.

When I want to migrate _all_ data from one 7.1 to another 7.1 : does a
brute filecopy do it ?

Thanx a lot for your help,

peter

--
mag. peter pilsl

phone: +43 676 3574035
fax  : +43 676 3546512
email: pilsl@goldfisch.at
sms  : pilsl@max.mail.at

pgp-key available

Re: problems with pg_dumplo (was Re: backup with blobs)

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 11:37:13AM +0200, Peter Pilsl wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 10:27:11AM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:

> > Try:
> >
> >  pg_dumplo -a -d my_db -s /my_dump/dir
> >  pg_dump [with relevant options for your DB] > my.dump
> >  DROP DATABASE my_db;
> >  CREATE DATABASE my_db;
> >  psql my_db < my.dump
> >  pg_dumplo -i -d my_db -s /my_dump/dir
> >

> when working on an own database things works perfect. However I have a
> reproduceable problem on a different database when importing blobs
> into a single table while the old blobs still existing (no matter if
> using -r or not)

 Do you have right permissions for DB and dirs with LO dumps?

> However: the problem is not happening on a new created database, so
> maybe there is a problem on my system.

Hmm.. may be, sounds curious if everythig is right on mew DB.

> I will install 7.1 on a different machine and try if I can import all
> my data before migrating to 7.1 on a production-server.

 The LO dump format is same for 7.0 and 7.1. If you use pg_dumplo from
7.1 for LO data from 7.0 you probably import all without problems.

> When I want to migrate _all_ data from one 7.1 to another 7.1 : does a
> brute filecopy do it ?

 Means "brute filecopy" copy backend store files? IMHO it's really brutal
way, more standard is dump out and import all back to new DB.

 The pg_dump in 7.1 dumping LO too. My pg_dumplo is a crutch for old PG
versions and for export/import without spec. oid operations (like new
pg_dump)

        Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>
 http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/

 C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz, http://mape.jcu.cz

Re: problems with pg_dumplo (was Re: backup with blobs)

От
Peter Pilsl
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 12:48:36PM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:

> > when working on an own database things works perfect. However I have a
> > reproduceable problem on a different database when importing blobs
> > into a single table while the old blobs still existing (no matter if
> > using -r or not)
>
>  Do you have right permissions for DB and dirs with LO dumps?

yes, I'm in real god-mode.

> > However: the problem is not happening on a new created database, so
> > maybe there is a problem on my system.
>
> Hmm.. may be, sounds curious if everythig is right on mew DB.

It is curious and I dont want play around any more on my testmachine.  Later
in the weekend I will jump into the production-server and dump all
the stuff and try to restore the data in a new installed
7.1-environment.

I'll post my success/failure here then.

thnx, peter

--