Обсуждение: 7.1 on Solaris 8 run failure?

7.1 on Solaris 8 run failure?

От
Adam Haberlach
Дата:
I've been holding off installing 7.1 on my Solaris machine, since
it is at home and I didn't want to download it more then once, but
now that it is released, I've tried, and...

I built straight out of the box, using configure, the initdb seemed
to work, and now I get:

IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=1245184, 03600) failed: Invalid argument

This error can be caused by one of three things:

1. The maximum size for shared memory segments on your system was
   exceeded.  You need to raise the SHMMAX parameter in your kernel
   to be at least 1245184 bytes.

2. The requested shared memory segment was too small for your system.
   You need to lower the SHMMIN parameter in your kernel.

3. The requested shared memory segment already exists but is of the
   wrong size.  This is most likely the case if an old version of
   PostgreSQL crashed and didn't clean up.  The `ipcclean' utility
   can be used to remedy this.

---

This is on the mostly-stock Solaris that came on my Netra X1 server.

# uname -a
SunOS snatch 5.8 Generic_108528-06 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2

...anyone have any ideas?

--
Adam Haberlach            |
adam@newsnipple.com       | http://youlook.org

Re: 7.1 on Solaris 8 run failure?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
'stock solaris' has a very low shared memory 'threshold' ... try doing
something like starting postmaster with:

-B 32 -N 16

or raising the shared memory settings in /etc/systems and reboot ..

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: 7.1 on Solaris 8 run failure?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:

http://www.de.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/kernel-resources.html#SYSVIPC

Re: 7.1 on Solaris 8 run failure?

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
Adam Haberlach <adam@newsnipple.com> writes:

> I've been holding off installing 7.1 on my Solaris machine, since
> it is at home and I didn't want to download it more then once, but
> now that it is released, I've tried, and...
>
> I built straight out of the box, using configure, the initdb seemed
> to work, and now I get:
>
> IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=1245184, 03600) failed: Invalid argument
>
> This error can be caused by one of three things:

[...]

> This is on the mostly-stock Solaris that came on my Netra X1 server.
>
> # uname -a
> SunOS snatch 5.8 Generic_108528-06 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2
>
> ...anyone have any ideas?

What part of the error message was unclear?  Have you checked your
kernel shared memory settings?

-Doug

Re: 7.1 on Solaris 8 run failure?

От
Adam Haberlach
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 08:51:06PM -0400, Doug McNaught wrote:
> Adam Haberlach <adam@newsnipple.com> writes:
>
> > I've been holding off installing 7.1 on my Solaris machine, since
> > it is at home and I didn't want to download it more then once, but
> > now that it is released, I've tried, and...
> >
> > I built straight out of the box, using configure, the initdb seemed
> > to work, and now I get:
> >
> > IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=1245184, 03600) failed: Invalid argument
> >
> > This error can be caused by one of three things:
>
> [...]
>
> > This is on the mostly-stock Solaris that came on my Netra X1 server.
> >
> > # uname -a
> > SunOS snatch 5.8 Generic_108528-06 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2
> >
> > ...anyone have any ideas?
>
> What part of the error message was unclear?  Have you checked your
> kernel shared memory settings?

    Now I have, thanks for the quick replies.  Does anyone have any good
settings for my /etc/system?  Right now I have limited the number of users.

    I also seem to have truncated the part of the message where pg_ctl
reports "The postmaster has started successfully..." which is wrong and
confusing.

--
Adam Haberlach            |
adam@newsnipple.com       | http://youlook.org
http://www.newsnipple.com |
'88 EX500    '00 >^<      |

Re: 7.1 on Solaris 8 run failure?

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi Adam,

As other others have pointed out to you, this is because you haven't
configured the shared memory and semaphores settings yet.

There is also an installation guide for PostgreSQL 7.1 on Solaris that
has settings for his, as well as explaining how to get readline and
OpenSSL working.

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/installguides.html#solaris

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Adam Haberlach wrote:

> I've been holding off installing 7.1 on my Solaris machine, since
> it is at home and I didn't want to download it more then once, but
> now that it is released, I've tried, and...
>
> I built straight out of the box, using configure, the initdb seemed
> to work, and now I get:
>
> IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=1245184, 03600) failed: Invalid argument
>
> This error can be caused by one of three things:
>
> 1. The maximum size for shared memory segments on your system was
>    exceeded.  You need to raise the SHMMAX parameter in your kernel
>    to be at least 1245184 bytes.
>
> 2. The requested shared memory segment was too small for your system.
>    You need to lower the SHMMIN parameter in your kernel.
>
> 3. The requested shared memory segment already exists but is of the
>    wrong size.  This is most likely the case if an old version of
>    PostgreSQL crashed and didn't clean up.  The `ipcclean' utility
>    can be used to remedy this.
>
> ---
>
> This is on the mostly-stock Solaris that came on my Netra X1 server.
>
> # uname -a
> SunOS snatch 5.8 Generic_108528-06 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2
>
> ...anyone have any ideas?
>
> --
> Adam Haberlach            |
> adam@newsnipple.com       | http://youlook.org
> http://www.newsnipple.com |
> '88 EX500    '00 >^<      |

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: 7.1 on Solaris 8 run failure?

От
Adam Haberlach
Дата:
On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 03:12:38PM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> As other others have pointed out to you, this is because you haven't
> configured the shared memory and semaphores settings yet.
>
> There is also an installation guide for PostgreSQL 7.1 on Solaris that
> has settings for his, as well as explaining how to get readline and
> OpenSSL working.
>
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/installguides.html#solaris

    This is very handy, and since it seems to be the common one-line
response on this list, would there be any chance that PostgreSQL could
emit a URL like this when it fails for what I would expect to be a common
reason for those of us that are used to out-of-the-box Linux installs
and are becoming more and more frustrated with Sun's silly defaults?

--
Adam Haberlach            |
adam@newsnipple.com       | http://youlook.org
http://www.newsnipple.com |
'88 EX500    '00 >^<      |

Re: 7.1 on Solaris 8 run failure?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Adam Haberlach writes:

> > There is also an installation guide for PostgreSQL 7.1 on Solaris that
> > has settings for his, as well as explaining how to get readline and
> > OpenSSL working.
> >
> > http://techdocs.postgresql.org/installguides.html#solaris
>
>     This is very handy, and since it seems to be the common one-line
> response on this list, would there be any chance that PostgreSQL could
> emit a URL like this when it fails for what I would expect to be a common
> reason for those of us that are used to out-of-the-box Linux installs
> and are becoming more and more frustrated with Sun's silly defaults?

If you had read the postmaster's error message to the end you would have
seen

: The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide contains more information about
: shared memory configuration.

And then you would open up the Administrator's Guide, either on the
internet or locally, click on "Shared Memory and Semaphores" and there you
would find all the information you need.

At least this is how I imagined it.  Is there a missing mental link?