Обсуждение: 2 PGSQL instances in the same server

2 PGSQL instances in the same server

От
Ramiro Barreca
Дата:
We need to have, for migration, either an instance of our actual PG 8.4.4 and a new one of PG 9.0 for testing.
Where can we found a paper for helping us?
Our platform is Centos 5.4 x86 64 bits
--
Ramiro Barreca
rbarreca@gmail.com

Re: 2 PGSQL instances in the same server

От
Szymon Guz

We need to have, for migration, either an instance of our actual PG 8.4.4 and a new one of PG 9.0 for testing.
Where can we found a paper for helping us?
Our platform is Centos 5.4 x86 64 bits
--
Ramiro Barreca
rbarreca@gmail.com

I think there is no paper on that, that's just too simple. Install another database, run it on another port (that needs changing one value in the postgresql.conf).

regards
Szymon

Re: 2 PGSQL instances in the same server

От
Gerhard Hintermayer
Дата:
and of course install binaries somewhere else, use a different PG_DATA
dir ... you're soon loosing simplicity ;-) . Some distros support this
natively. Gentoo supports this, don't know about Centos.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Szymon Guz <mabewlun@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 November 2010 16:13, Ramiro Barreca <rbarreca@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> We need to have, for migration, either an instance of our actual PG 8.4.4
>> and a new one of PG 9.0 for testing.
>> Where can we found a paper for helping us?
>> Our platform is Centos 5.4 x86 64 bits
>> --
>> Ramiro Barreca
>> rbarreca@gmail.com
>
> I think there is no paper on that, that's just too simple. Install another
> database, run it on another port (that needs changing one value in the
> postgresql.conf).
> regards
> Szymon

Re: 2 PGSQL instances in the same server

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 12:13 -0300, Ramiro Barreca wrote:
> We need to have, for migration, either an instance of our actual PG
> 8.4.4 and a new one of PG 9.0 for testing.
> Where can we found a paper for helping us?
> Our platform is Centos 5.4 x86 64 bits

Barring a bug that prevents yum to install both of them to be installed
at the same time, you can install 8.4+9.0 RPMs on the same machine. See
this comment related to this bug, and how to workaround it:

http://people.planetpostgresql.org/devrim/index.php?/archives/48-What-is-new-in-PostgreSQL-9.0-RPMs.html#c202

(Actually it is not a bug, it was an oversight)

I have already fixed it in SVN, but I could not find time to build
updated packages (I'm at PgWest). I'll blog about it once the packages
are ready (maybe later today).

So download 9.0 RPMs from

http://yum.pgrpms.org/9.0/redhat/rhel-5-x86_64/

(The ones starting with postgresql90-*-9.0.1-* )

and install them manually as written in the comment above. That should
be enough.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: 2 PGSQL instances in the same server

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
rbarreca@gmail.com (Ramiro Barreca) writes:
> We need to have, for migration, either an instance of our actual PG 8.4.4 and a
> new one of PG 9.0 for testing.
> Where can we found a paper for helping us?
> Our platform is Centos 5.4 x86 64 bits

The "complication" to this is that it is quite likely not simple to do
this using pre-packaged (e.g. - RPM files) Postgres builds.

Anyone that's involved with building Postgres tends to have tooling
handy to help have multiple versions of Postgres around.

I have a script I use for this sort of thing:
    <https://github.com/cbbrowne/pginit>

Greg Smith has something analagous, though more sophisticated:
    <https://github.com/gregs1104/peg>

It amounts to:

  1.  Installing both versions of software;
  2.  Possibly using scripts to help manage where the results get
      installed.

If you're accustomed to entrusting installation totally to RPM-based
installations of Postgres, you're headed into new territory to have to
choose and configure where the installations are done.  But it's really
no big deal - it's not unusual for me to install several different
instances of Postgres in the course of an hour, refreshing some
instances I use to test Slony-I.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxfinances.info")
"In the  free software world, a  rising tide DOES lift  all boats, and

Re: 2 PGSQL instances in the same server

От
Lou Picciano
Дата:
Ramiro,

Yes, this will pose no problem.  We do it commonly.  You can simply install your v9.0 server, as Szymon has suggested, on another port to effect your testing.  Be sure you've set up a 9.0-compatible cluster of course; you can't share data.

Lou Picciano