Обсуждение: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

От
"Gnanakumar"

Even though I’ve enabled statistics collector in our server, it is not collecting statistics, and because of this autovacuum is also not running as expected.

PostgreSQL version 8.2

Parameters enabled related to this are:

# - Query/Index Statistics Collector -

#stats_command_string = on

#update_process_title = on

#stats_start_collector = on

#stats_block_level = off

#stats_row_level = off

stats_block_level = on

stats_row_level = on

#stats_reset_on_server_start = off

# - Statistics Monitoring -

#log_parser_stats = off

#log_planner_stats = off

#log_executor_stats = off

#log_statement_stats = off

I’m always getting zero value for all the tables.

select pg_stat_get_tuples_inserted((select oid from pg_class where relname = 'mytable'));

select pg_stat_get_tuples_updated((select oid from pg_class where relname = 'mytable'));

select pg_stat_get_tuples_deleted((select oid from pg_class where relname = 'mytable'));

Re: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 31/03/2010 08:41, Gnanakumar a écrit :
> Hi,
>

> Even though I've enabled statistics collector in our server, it is not
> collecting statistics, and because of this autovacuum is also not running as
> expected.
>

> PostgreSQL version 8.2
>

> Parameters enabled related to this are:
>
> # - Query/Index Statistics Collector -
>

> #stats_command_string = on
>
> #update_process_title = on
>

> #stats_start_collector = on
>

> #stats_block_level = off
>
> #stats_row_level = off
>
> stats_block_level = on
>
> stats_row_level = on
>
> #stats_reset_on_server_start = off
>

> # - Statistics Monitoring -
>

> #log_parser_stats = off
>
> #log_planner_stats = off
>
> #log_executor_stats = off
>
> #log_statement_stats = off
>

> I'm always getting zero value for all the tables.
>

> select pg_stat_get_tuples_inserted((select oid from pg_class where relname =
> 'mytable'));
>
> select pg_stat_get_tuples_updated((select oid from pg_class where relname =
> 'mytable'));
>
> select pg_stat_get_tuples_deleted((select oid from pg_class where relname =
> 'mytable'));

If the stats collector was disabled before, did you restart PostgreSQL?
if you did restart, you should drop the # in front of
"stats_start_collector = on" and restart once again PostgreSQL.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

От
"Gnanakumar"
Дата:
I’m also seeing a weird thing.  If I do ‘show stats_start_collector;’ inside
psql, it says ‘off’.

I’ve also restarted my server many times after making all the changes.

As per 8.2 doc,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/runtime-config-statistics.htm
l, stats_start_collector is on by default.

Le 31/03/2010 08:41, Gnanakumar a écrit :
> Hi,
>

> Even though I've enabled statistics collector in our server, it is not
> collecting statistics, and because of this autovacuum is also not running
as
> expected.
>

> PostgreSQL version 8.2
>

> Parameters enabled related to this are:
>
> # - Query/Index Statistics Collector -
>

> #stats_command_string = on
>
> #update_process_title = on
>

> #stats_start_collector = on
>

> #stats_block_level = off
>
> #stats_row_level = off
>
> stats_block_level = on
>
> stats_row_level = on
>
> #stats_reset_on_server_start = off
>

> # - Statistics Monitoring -
>

> #log_parser_stats = off
>
> #log_planner_stats = off
>
> #log_executor_stats = off
>
> #log_statement_stats = off
>

> I'm always getting zero value for all the tables.
>

> select pg_stat_get_tuples_inserted((select oid from pg_class where relname
=
> 'mytable'));
>
> select pg_stat_get_tuples_updated((select oid from pg_class where relname
=
> 'mytable'));
>
> select pg_stat_get_tuples_deleted((select oid from pg_class where relname
=
> 'mytable'));

If the stats collector was disabled before, did you restart PostgreSQL?
if you did restart, you should drop the # in front of
"stats_start_collector = on" and restart once again PostgreSQL.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org
 http://dalibo.com

Re: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 31/03/2010 10:58, Gnanakumar a écrit :
> I’m also seeing a weird thing.  If I do ‘show stats_start_collector;’ inside
> psql, it says ‘off’.
>
> I’ve also restarted my server many times after making all the changes.
>
> As per 8.2 doc,
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/runtime-config-statistics.htm
> l, stats_start_collector is on by default.

If it is off (as you found with the "show stats_start_collector"
statement), you should getting ride of the # in front of the
stats_start_collector parameter. Ie, you should have

stats_start_collector = on

and not

#stats_start_collector = on

or

#stats_start_collector = off

Once you've done this, restart PostgreSQL and it should work.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

От
"Gnanakumar"
Дата:
OK.  I'll try that way.

But, as per 8.2 doc, by default it is ON. So if I comment with just '#'
infront of the parameter, and restart PostgreSQL, this change will not be
reflected, which means it should work with default value ON?

Le 31/03/2010 10:58, Gnanakumar a écrit :
> I’m also seeing a weird thing.  If I do ‘show stats_start_collector;’
inside
> psql, it says ‘off’.
>
> I’ve also restarted my server many times after making all the changes.
>
> As per 8.2 doc,

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/runtime-config-statistics.htm
> l, stats_start_collector is on by default.

If it is off (as you found with the "show stats_start_collector"
statement), you should getting ride of the # in front of the
stats_start_collector parameter. Ie, you should have

stats_start_collector = on

and not

#stats_start_collector = on

or

#stats_start_collector = off

Once you've done this, restart PostgreSQL and it should work.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org
 http://dalibo.com

Re: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 31/03/2010 11:14, Gnanakumar a écrit :
> OK.  I'll try that way.
>
> But, as per 8.2 doc, by default it is ON. So if I comment with just '#'
> infront of the parameter, and restart PostgreSQL, this change will not be
> reflected, which means it should work with default value ON?

Yes, you're right. Maybe you have stats_start_collector at different
places in your postgresql.conf. The last value is used in this case. So
you should better check this.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

От
"Gnanakumar"
Дата:
After restarting PostgreSQL, I can see the following parameters are set to
ON:
mydb=# show stats_start_collector;
 stats_start_collector
-----------------------
 on
(1 row)

mydb=# show stats_start_collector;
 stats_start_collector
-----------------------
 on
(1 row)

mydb=# show stats_block_level;
 stats_block_level
-------------------
 on
(1 row)

mydb=# show stats_reset_on_server_start;
 stats_reset_on_server_start
-----------------------------
 off
(1 row)

But still, if I query after performing heavy DML operations, I'm always
getting zero, even though there are INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE.
select pg_stat_get_tuples_inserted((select oid from pg_class where relname =
'mytable'));

Is there any other parameter I'm missing to make this work.

Le 31/03/2010 11:14, Gnanakumar a écrit :
> OK.  I'll try that way.
>
> But, as per 8.2 doc, by default it is ON. So if I comment with just '#'
> infront of the parameter, and restart PostgreSQL, this change will not be
> reflected, which means it should work with default value ON?

Yes, you're right. Maybe you have stats_start_collector at different
places in your postgresql.conf. The last value is used in this case. So
you should better check this.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org
 http://dalibo.com

Re: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 31/03/2010 12:51, Gnanakumar a écrit :
> After restarting PostgreSQL, I can see the following parameters are set to
> ON:
> mydb=# show stats_start_collector;
>  stats_start_collector
> -----------------------
>  on
> (1 row)
>
> mydb=# show stats_start_collector;
>  stats_start_collector
> -----------------------
>  on
> (1 row)
>
> mydb=# show stats_block_level;
>  stats_block_level
> -------------------
>  on
> (1 row)
>
> mydb=# show stats_reset_on_server_start;
>  stats_reset_on_server_start
> -----------------------------
>  off
> (1 row)
>
> But still, if I query after performing heavy DML operations, I'm always
> getting zero, even though there are INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE.
> select pg_stat_get_tuples_inserted((select oid from pg_class where relname =
> 'mytable'));
>
> Is there any other parameter I'm missing to make this work.

Nope. But you didn't show stats_row_level. If it's on too, try "select *
from pg_stat_user_tables".

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

От
"Gnanakumar"
Дата:
show stats_row_level is also showing ON.
mydb=# show stats_row_level;
 stats_row_level
-----------------
 on
(1 row)

I also ran "select * from pg_stat_user_tables", all columns are showing
either 0 or NULL value for all the tables in my database.  I don't find any
values other than this for the entire tables in the database.

Le 31/03/2010 12:51, Gnanakumar a écrit :
> After restarting PostgreSQL, I can see the following parameters are set to
> ON:
> mydb=# show stats_start_collector;
>  stats_start_collector
> -----------------------
>  on
> (1 row)
>
> mydb=# show stats_start_collector;
>  stats_start_collector
> -----------------------
>  on
> (1 row)
>
> mydb=# show stats_block_level;
>  stats_block_level
> -------------------
>  on
> (1 row)
>
> mydb=# show stats_reset_on_server_start;
>  stats_reset_on_server_start
> -----------------------------
>  off
> (1 row)
>
> But still, if I query after performing heavy DML operations, I'm always
> getting zero, even though there are INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE.
> select pg_stat_get_tuples_inserted((select oid from pg_class where relname
=
> 'mytable'));
>
> Is there any other parameter I'm missing to make this work.

Nope. But you didn't show stats_row_level. If it's on too, try "select *
from pg_stat_user_tables".

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org
 http://dalibo.com

Re: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

Дата:
"Gnanakumar" <gnanam@zoniac.com> writes:
>> But still, if I query after performing heavy DML operations, I'm always
>> getting zero, even though there are INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE.

Is the stats collector actually running according to "ps"?  If not, look
in the postmaster log to see why it failed (problems creating the
communication socket are the most common cause).

            regards, tom lane

Re: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

От
"Gnanakumar"
Дата:
[...]

Вложения

Re: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

Дата:
"Gnanakumar" <gnanam@zoniac.com> writes:
> I'm also seeing a weird thing.  If I do 'show stats_start_collector;' inside
> psql, it says 'off'.

Yeah, this is the expected state if the collector fails to start for
some reason.  Look into the postmaster log for a startup-time message
indicating why; but again, I'll bet on problems creating its UDP socket.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

От
"Gnanakumar"
Дата:
Hi Tom,

As you said, I notice the following in postmaster log:
2010-04-08 17:30:41 ISTLOG:  could not receive test message on socket for
statistics collector: Connection refused
2010-04-08 17:30:41 ISTLOG:  disabling statistics collector for lack of
working socket

What is going wrong?  I couldn't understand from the above lines.

If postgresql service can start without any issues, why not stats collector
process the same way?

> I'm also seeing a weird thing.  If I do 'show stats_start_collector;'
inside
> psql, it says 'off'.

Yeah, this is the expected state if the collector fails to start for
some reason.  Look into the postmaster log for a startup-time message
indicating why; but again, I'll bet on problems creating its UDP socket.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
"Gnanakumar" <gnanam@zoniac.com> wrote:

> As you said, I notice the following in postmaster log:
> 2010-04-08 17:30:41 ISTLOG:  could not receive test message on
> socket for statistics collector: Connection refused
> 2010-04-08 17:30:41 ISTLOG:  disabling statistics collector for
> lack of working socket
>
> What is going wrong?  I couldn't understand from the above lines.

Is an OS firewall or anti-virus program running on this machine?
Any other unusual security features, like SE-Linux?

-Kevin

Re: Statistics Collector not collecting server activities

От
"Gnanakumar"
Дата:
Hi Kevin,

No, it is not SE-Linux and no anti-virus programs are running.  I can again
cross-check whether any firewall is enabled.

But again if postgresql service can start without any issues, why not stats
collector process the same way?

Does stats collector process need any other special
resource/privilege/operations/port to start?   Can you let me know in this
aspect, so that it would be helpful to  troubleshoot better.