Обсуждение: Re: PG 8.1.1 rhel-as-4 rpms missing - Now not initdb issues

Re: PG 8.1.1 rhel-as-4 rpms missing - Now not initdb issues

От
Chris Hoover
Дата:
On 12/13/05, Chris Hoover <revoohc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply - Chris
> On 12/13/05, Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 12:25 -0500, Chris Hoover wrote:
> > > Does anyone know when the rpms for rhel-as-4 will be placed on the ftp
> > > servers for pg 8.1.1?
> >
> > I built RPMs for FC3 and RHEL AS 4 a few minutes before and I'm
> > uploading them now. They will be in main FTP site in an hour.
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
> > PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
> > Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
> > Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

> > TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
> >        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
> >        match

Thanks for the rpms.

I just downloaded them and installed all of them except for the python rpm.

However, when I run initdb --locale=C -D /<path to db> I get the following:
[postgres@edidb9 bin]$ initdb --locale=C -D /postgresql/50001/
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory /postgresql/50001 ... ok
creating directory /postgresql/50001/global ... ok
creating directory /postgresql/50001/pg_xlog ... ok
creating directory /postgresql/50001/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
creating directory /postgresql/50001/pg_clog ... ok
creating directory /postgresql/50001/pg_subtrans ... ok
creating directory /postgresql/50001/pg_twophase ... ok
creating directory /postgresql/50001/pg_multixact/members ... ok
creating directory /postgresql/50001/pg_multixact/offsets ... ok
creating directory /postgresql/50001/base ... ok
creating directory /postgresql/50001/base/1 ... ok
creating directory /postgresql/50001/pg_tblspc ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers ... 50
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in /postgresql/50001/base/1 ... child
process exited with exit code 1
initdb: removing contents of data directory "/postgresql/50001"
[postgres@edidb9 bin]$

When I try to run /usr/bin/postgres -V - I get no results.

Not sure where to go from here.  Please let me know if you need more
information.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: PG 8.1.1 rhel-as-4 rpms missing - Now not initdb issues

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,
On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 13:59 -0500, Chris Hoover wrote:
> However, when I run initdb --locale=C -D /<path to db> I get the following:
> [postgres@edidb9 bin]$ initdb --locale=C -D /postgresql/50001/

<snipped>

> creating configuration files ... ok
> creating template1 database in /postgresql/50001/base/1 ... child
> process exited with exit code 1
> initdb: removing contents of data directory "/postgresql/50001"
> [postgres@edidb9 bin]$

AFAIR, this is a result of lack of system resources, like semaphores,
etc. Can you see any clues in /var/log/pgsql/pgstartup.log ?

Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PG 8.1.1 rhel-as-4 rpms missing - Now not initdb issues

От
Chris Hoover
Дата:
On 12/14/05, Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> wrote:
<snip>
> AFAIR, this is a result of lack of system resources, like semaphores,
> etc. Can you see any clues in /var/log/pgsql/pgstartup.log ?
>
> Regards,
> --
> The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
> Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Running the initdb by hand is not creating the file you mentioned, and
I am not getting any other errors.  I am curious though, I saw a
posting from Tom saying to try running /usr/bin/postgres -V.  When I
do this, I do not get any results.  So I am wondering if the postgres
rpms might be having a problem?

I have not changed my procedures, and this is exactly how I installed
and setup 8.1.0.

When I run the test on my 8.1.0 box I get:
[postgres@editstapp1 ~]$ /usr/bin/postgres -V
postgres (PostgreSQL) 8.1.0

On my 8.1.1 box I get:
[postgres@edidb9 ~]$ /usr/bin/postgres -V
[postgres@edidb9 ~]$

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Re: PG 8.1.1 rhel-as-4 rpms missing - Now not initdb issues

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Chris Hoover wrote:

> On my 8.1.1 box I get:
> [postgres@edidb9 ~]$ /usr/bin/postgres -V

Hmm. Two questions:
- Is SELinux enabled?
- What is the output of
      rpm -qa|grep postgresql

BTW... I've uploaded a new series of RHEL AS 4 RPMs yesterday to FTP
server. I'm booted my RHEL AS 4 box now and postgres -V worked for me.

So we need to find the problem in your box.

Re: PG 8.1.1 rhel-as-4 rpms missing - Now not initdb issues

Дата:
Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> writes:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Chris Hoover wrote:
>> On my 8.1.1 box I get:
>> [postgres@edidb9 ~]$ /usr/bin/postgres -V

> Hmm. Two questions:
> - Is SELinux enabled?

I think that's the only question you need ;-).  And the answer is
probably "get a newer version of selinux-policy".  Disallowing the
postgres executable from writing on /dev/tty was one of the earlier
policy mistakes ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: PG 8.1.1 rhel-as-4 rpms missing - Now not initdb issues

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:

> > Hmm. Two questions:
> > - Is SELinux enabled?
>
> I think that's the only question you need ;-).  And the answer is
> probably "get a newer version of selinux-policy".  Disallowing the
> postgres executable from writing on /dev/tty was one of the earlier
> policy mistakes ...

I'm pleased to always disable SELinux :) . I remember to have an
OpenWebmail problem months ago that drove me crazy, and at last I found
that it was a SELinux problem.

Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PG 8.1.1 rhel-as-4 rpms missing - Now not initdb issues

От
Chris Hoover
Дата:
On 12/14/05, Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Chris Hoover wrote:
>
> > On my 8.1.1 box I get:
> > [postgres@edidb9 ~]$ /usr/bin/postgres -V
>
> Hmm. Two questions:
> - Is SELinux enabled?
> - What is the output of
>          rpm -qa|grep postgresql
>
> BTW... I've uploaded a new series of RHEL AS 4 RPMs yesterday to FTP
> server. I'm booted my RHEL AS 4 box now and postgres -V worked for me.
>
> So we need to find the problem in your box.
>
> Regards,
> --
> The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
> Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

All right, it was SELinux biting us.  I turned it off and everything
was fine.  I'll be updated my sysadmin again to make sure he turns it
off.

Also, would it be possible for the initdb to mention that as a
possible problem when if fails?  It would be very helpful since there
was not any real help from initdb on where to look for the problem.

Thanks so much for your time and help,

Chris

Re: PG 8.1.1 rhel-as-4 rpms missing - Now not initdb issues

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 11:12 -0500, Chris Hoover wrote:

> Also, would it be possible for the initdb to mention that as a
> possible problem when if fails?  It would be very helpful since there
> was not any real help from initdb on where to look for the problem.

This is not a PostgreSQL (and a common) problem, so IMHO it's not
initdb's job to complain about SELinux problems. AFAIK, initdb complains
on system resource problems, etc.

Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PG 8.1.1 rhel-as-4 rpms missing - Now not initdb issues

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 17:54:53 +0200,
  Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> > > Hmm. Two questions:
> > > - Is SELinux enabled?
> >
> > I think that's the only question you need ;-).  And the answer is
> > probably "get a newer version of selinux-policy".  Disallowing the
> > postgres executable from writing on /dev/tty was one of the earlier
> > policy mistakes ...
>
> I'm pleased to always disable SELinux :) . I remember to have an
> OpenWebmail problem months ago that drove me crazy, and at last I found
> that it was a SELinux problem.

I like the targetted selinux as that gives you a bit more protection from
unknown (to you) vulnerabilities in services.

Right now the mandatory access is too much of a pain (for me at least) to
use.