Обсуждение: the best linux or bsd for postgresql

the best linux or bsd for postgresql

От
"Ing. Jhon Carrillo // Caracas, Venezuela"
Дата:
hi,

What is the best linux or bsd for postgresql 8.x?

i'm replacing a oracle system on suse enterprise 8 with clustering, dataguard, ......

I need high and good performance for my system.

Is there any certified unix plataform for to use postgresql?

thanks.

--
Jhon Carrillo
DBA / Software Engineer

Re: the best linux or bsd for postgresql

От
Rodrigo Hjort
Дата:
We recently made some DBT-2 performance tests on "FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE"
and on "Debian GNU/Linux 2.6.12-1-686-smp #1 SMP". The latter had a
much better performance, as you can see by the plotting attached.
We've chosen Linux SO for our servers.

2005/12/9, Ing. Jhon Carrillo // Caracas, Venezuela
<jhon.carrillo.foros@gmail.com>:
> hi,
>
> What is the best linux or bsd for postgresql 8.x?
>
> i'm replacing a oracle system on suse enterprise 8 with clustering,
> dataguard, ......
>
> I need high and good performance for my system.
>
> Is there any certified unix plataform for to use postgresql?
>
> thanks.
>
> --
> Jhon Carrillo
> DBA / Software Engineer
> Caracas-Venezuela

Rodrigo Hjort
GTI - Projeto PostgreSQL
CELEPAR - Cia de Informática do Paraná
http://www.pr.gov.br

Вложения

Re: the best linux or bsd for postgresql

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
jhon.carrillo.foros@gmail.com ("Ing. Jhon Carrillo // Caracas, Venezuela") writes:
> hi,
> What is the best linux or bsd for postgresql 8.x?
> i'm replacing a oracle system on suse enterprise 8 with clustering, dataguard, ......
> I need high and good performance for my system.
> Is there any certified unix plataform for to use postgresql?

If you are well familiar with some particular flavour of Linux, then
you will likely have an easier time making it perform well than
jumping to some other OS where files are in different places and the
knobs you have to tune are different from the ones you already know
about.

If you are well familiar with some particular flavour of BSD, then you
will likely have an easier time making it perform well than jumping to
some other OS where files are in different places and the knobs you
have to tune are different from the ones you already know about.

The learning curve is entirely likely to be expensive enough as to
outweigh any kinds of short term benefits you might find.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html

Re: the best linux or bsd for postgresql

От
Bradley Kieser
Дата:
We use Mandrake as a standard, 10.1 is our present company level, and PG
rocks on this distro. Never had a problem.

Ing. Jhon Carrillo // Caracas, Venezuela wrote:

> hi,
>
> What is the best linux or bsd for postgresql 8.x?
>
> i'm replacing a oracle system on suse enterprise 8 with clustering,
> dataguard, ......
>
> I need high and good performance for my system.
>
> Is there any certified unix plataform for to use postgresql?
>
> thanks.
>
> --
> Jhon Carrillo
> DBA / Software Engineer
> Caracas-Venezuela

Re: the best linux or bsd for postgresql

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 12:24 -0400, Ing. Jhon Carrillo // Caracas,
Venezuela wrote:

> What is the best linux or bsd for postgresql 8.x?
>
> i'm replacing a oracle system on suse enterprise 8 with clustering,
> dataguard, ......
>
> I need high and good performance for my system.

Red Hat kernel includes various improvements against vanilla kernel. As
far as I've tested between SLES 9 and RHEL 4, RHEL 4 has better
performance on heavy load -- so I do offer RHEL 4 for you PostgreSQL
needs.