Обсуждение: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

От
"Chris Hoover"
Дата:
I need some help,

I am doing initial investigation into the next project.  Part of the
project is to upgrade from RH 2.1 to 3.0 (or greater) and to upgrade
from Postgresql 7.3.4 to a newer version.  Currently we are compiling
our version of postgresql and I would really like to get away from
that.   However, I am having some difficulty installing the
postgresql.org RH 3.0 rpms for Postgresql 8.0.2.

Here is what I have:
Virgin install of RH ES 3.0 from cd's (no update run right now)

When I try to start installing the Postgresql rpms, I get the following:
[root@localhost postgresql_rpms]# rpm -Uvh
postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG.i686.rpm
warning: postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG.i686.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY,
key ID 748f7d0e
error: Failed dependencies:
        libecpg.so.4 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
        libpgtypes.so.1 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
        libpq.so.3 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
    Suggested resolutions:
        rh-postgresql-libs-7.3.4-8.i386.rpm

I've tried this with both the  rh-postgresql-libs-7.3.4-8.i386.rpm
installed and not installed and am getting the same results.

What do I need to do to get the rpms to install????

Thanks for any help,

Chris

Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> Here is what I have:
> Virgin install of RH ES 3.0 from cd's (no update run right now)
>
> When I try to start installing the Postgresql rpms, I get the following:
> [root@localhost postgresql_rpms]# rpm -Uvh
> postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG.i686.rpm
> warning: postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG.i686.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY,
> key ID 748f7d0e
> error: Failed dependencies:
>        libecpg.so.4 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
>        libpgtypes.so.1 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
>        libpq.so.3 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
>    Suggested resolutions:
>        rh-postgresql-libs-7.3.4-8.i386.rpm

It looks like you already have postgresql installed via RH 3. You need
to remove it first, then install 8.

Honestly, when working with the RH ES version it is better to compile
anyway.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting

Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

От
"Chris Hoover"
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Here is what I have:
>> Virgin install of RH ES 3.0 from cd's (no update run right now)
>>
>> When I try to start installing the Postgresql rpms, I get the following:
>> [root@localhost postgresql_rpms]# rpm -Uvh
>> postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG.i686.rpm
>> warning: postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG.i686.rpm: V3 DSA signature:
>> NOKEY, key ID 748f7d0e
>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>        libecpg.so.4 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
>>        libpgtypes.so.1 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
>>        libpq.so.3 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
>>    Suggested resolutions:
>>        rh-postgresql-libs-7.3.4-8.i386.rpm
>

> It looks like you already have postgresql installed via RH 3. You need
> to remove it first, then install 8.
>
> Honestly, when working with the RH ES version it is better to compile
> anyway.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

I have checked, and postgresql is not installed on the system.  Are
there some dependent rpms that the postgresql-lib rpm needs?

Why do you say it is better to compile (besides getting a "customized"
postgresql)?  Are there major problems with the rpm builds?  Our
management team really wants us to get away from compiling Postgresql if
at all possible.  So, I am going to need a very good argument to keep
compiling Postgresql when we do this next project.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

От
"Joel Fradkin"
Дата:
What I did was do the redhat install (was AS4) without checking postgres and
the rpm installed fine. Asked for a redhat CD but no other issues.

I believe you can uninstall it too, but I did not try that.
Also make sure no security SELinux stuff.

Joel Fradkin

Wazagua, Inc.
2520 Trailmate Dr
Sarasota, Florida 34243
Tel.  941-753-7111 ext 305

jfradkin@wazagua.com
www.wazagua.com
Powered by Wazagua
Providing you with the latest Web-based technology & advanced tools.
C 2004. WAZAGUA, Inc. All rights reserved. WAZAGUA, Inc
 This email message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete and destroy
all copies of the original message, including attachments.

>> Virgin install of RH ES 3.0 from cd's (no update run right now)
>>
>> When I try to start installing the Postgresql rpms, I get the following:
>> [root@localhost postgresql_rpms]# rpm -Uvh
>> postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG.i686.rpm
>> warning: postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG.i686.rpm: V3 DSA signature:
>> NOKEY, key ID 748f7d0e
>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>        libecpg.so.4 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
>>        libpgtypes.so.1 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
>>        libpq.so.3 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
>>    Suggested resolutions:
>>        rh-postgresql-libs-7.3.4-8.i386.rpm
>

> It looks like you already have postgresql installed via RH 3. You need
> to remove it first, then install 8.
>
> Honestly, when working with the RH ES version it is better to compile
> anyway.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

I have checked, and postgresql is not installed on the system.  Are
there some dependent rpms that the postgresql-lib rpm needs?

Why do you say it is better to compile (besides getting a "customized"
postgresql)?  Are there major problems with the rpm builds?  Our
management team really wants us to get away from compiling Postgresql if
at all possible.  So, I am going to need a very good argument to keep
compiling Postgresql when we do this next project.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> I have checked, and postgresql is not installed on the system.  Are
> there some dependent rpms that the postgresql-lib rpm needs?
>
> Why do you say it is better to compile (besides getting a "customized"
> postgresql)?  Are there major problems with the rpm builds?

Well besides what you just ran into? Although I would agree it isn't
major. RPM builds on ES I just find a pain. There always seems to be
something missing.

An option, which is what Command Prompt employs is to use source to
create our own RPM so we don't have to deal with any odd decisions by
the original packagers.

On to your actual problem. What happens if you download all the separate
package rpms for postgresql and just do:

rpm -ivh *.rpm ?

That should resolve any dependency within itself.

   Our
> management team really wants us to get away from compiling Postgresql if
> at all possible.  So, I am going to need a very good argument to keep
> compiling Postgresql when we do this next project.

My initial question would be what is managements argument but I probably
know the answer to that.

It really depends on your environment but you may want to try the
src.rpm (SRPMS) option.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting
Home of PostgreSQL Replicator, plPHP, plPerlNG and pgPHPToolkit
http://www.commandprompt.com / http://www.postgresql.org

Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

От
"Chris Hoover"
Дата:
Ok, I thought I'd try the 8.0.1 rpms just for giggles.  I was able to
install the postgresql-libs rpm for 8.0.1 with out a problem.  It looks
like there is a bug in the 8.0.2 if you are installing from scratch.
Can someone please point me to the proper place to log this bug.

Chris

Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

Дата:
"Chris Hoover" <revoohc@sermonaudio.com> writes:
> ... However, I am having some difficulty installing the
> postgresql.org RH 3.0 rpms for Postgresql 8.0.2.

Up until really recently (read: not yet shipped for Red Hat, and I'm
not sure about the PGDG RPMs), the 8.0 RPMs had the wrong Obsoletes:
data in them for replacing rh-postgresql RPMs with later postgresql
RPMs.  So I'd definitely suggest removing *all* the rh-postgresql RPMs
before you try to install newer stuff.  It wasn't real clear whether
that was the sum total of your problem however...

> Virgin install of RH ES 3.0 from cd's (no update run right now)

It wouldn't be a bad idea to do "up2date" first.  For all you know
you are fighting a bug in RPM itself.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:

Hi,

You need to build all software that runs with PostgreSQL.

On my RHEL box, I've just symlinked libpq.so.4 to libpq.so.3 manually.
Apply the same procedures for libecpg.so.4 and libpgtypes.so.1 .

Regards,

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Chris Hoover wrote:

> I need some help,
>
> I am doing initial investigation into the next project.  Part of the project
> is to upgrade from RH 2.1 to 3.0 (or greater) and to upgrade from Postgresql
> 7.3.4 to a newer version.  Currently we are compiling our version of
> postgresql and I would really like to get away from that.   However, I am
> having some difficulty installing the postgresql.org RH 3.0 rpms for
> Postgresql 8.0.2.
>
> Here is what I have:
> Virgin install of RH ES 3.0 from cd's (no update run right now)
>
> When I try to start installing the Postgresql rpms, I get the following:
> [root@localhost postgresql_rpms]# rpm -Uvh
> postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG.i686.rpm
> warning: postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG.i686.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key
> ID 748f7d0e
> error: Failed dependencies:
>       libecpg.so.4 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
>       libpgtypes.so.1 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
>       libpq.so.3 is needed by postgresql-libs-8.0.2-1PGDG
>   Suggested resolutions:
>       rh-postgresql-libs-7.3.4-8.i386.rpm
>
> I've tried this with both the  rh-postgresql-libs-7.3.4-8.i386.rpm installed
> and not installed and am getting the same results.
> What do I need to do to get the rpms to install????
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Chris

>     subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>     message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

- --
Devrim GUNDUZ
http://www.tdmsoft.com                         http://www.gunduz.org

Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

От
Geoffrey
Дата:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You need to build all software that runs with PostgreSQL.

Can you justify this statement with experiences?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Geoffrey wrote:

>> You need to build all software that runs with PostgreSQL.
>
> Can you justify this statement with experiences?

Sure.

On my RHEL4 test box, I recompiled PHP from SRPM so that it will use
libpq.so.4. I have some more apps that requires PostgreSQL at the backend,
I did the same process for them, too.

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Chris Hoover" <revoohc@sermonaudio.com> writes:
>

>>... However, I am having some difficulty installing the
>>postgresql.org RH 3.0 rpms for Postgresql 8.0.2.
>>

>Up until really recently (read: not yet shipped for Red Hat, and I'm
>not sure about the PGDG RPMs), the 8.0 RPMs had the wrong Obsoletes:
>data in them for replacing rh-postgresql RPMs with later postgresql
>RPMs.  So I'd definitely suggest removing *all* the rh-postgresql RPMs
>before you try to install newer stuff.  It wasn't real clear whether
>that was the sum total of your problem however...
>

>>Virgin install of RH ES 3.0 from cd's (no update run right now)
>>

>It wouldn't be a bad idea to do "up2date" first.  For all you know
>you are fighting a bug in RPM itself.
>
>            regards, tom lane

Tom,

It looks like it is a specific problem with the 8.0.2 rpms.  Below is
what I wrote about trying the 8.0.1 rpms.

Ok, I thought I'd try the 8.0.1 rpms just for giggles.  I was able to
install the postgresql-libs rpm for 8.0.1 with out a problem.  It looks
like there is a bug in the 8.0.2 if you are installing from scratch.
Can someone please point me to the proper place to log this bug.

(sorry for the delay in response, I had some mail problems with my isp)

Chris

Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

От
"Joel Fradkin"
Дата:
Not sure if they were updated, but we (James from Dell, I watched) did
remove all the 8.0.1 rpms and install 8.0.2 just fine.

Joel Fradkin

>>... However, I am having some difficulty installing the
>>postgresql.org RH 3.0 rpms for Postgresql 8.0.2.
>>

>Up until really recently (read: not yet shipped for Red Hat, and I'm
>not sure about the PGDG RPMs), the 8.0 RPMs had the wrong Obsoletes:
>data in them for replacing rh-postgresql RPMs with later postgresql
>RPMs.  So I'd definitely suggest removing *all* the rh-postgresql RPMs
>before you try to install newer stuff.  It wasn't real clear whether
>that was the sum total of your problem however...
>

>>Virgin install of RH ES 3.0 from cd's (no update run right now)
>>

>It wouldn't be a bad idea to do "up2date" first.  For all you know
>you are fighting a bug in RPM itself.
>
>            regards, tom lane

Tom,

It looks like it is a specific problem with the 8.0.2 rpms.  Below is
what I wrote about trying the 8.0.1 rpms.

Ok, I thought I'd try the 8.0.1 rpms just for giggles.  I was able to
install the postgresql-libs rpm for 8.0.1 with out a problem.  It looks
like there is a bug in the 8.0.2 if you are installing from scratch.
Can someone please point me to the proper place to log this bug.

(sorry for the delay in response, I had some mail problems with my isp)

Chris

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster