Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> I have checked, and postgresql is not installed on the system.  Are
> there some dependent rpms that the postgresql-lib rpm needs?
>
> Why do you say it is better to compile (besides getting a "customized"
> postgresql)?  Are there major problems with the rpm builds?

Well besides what you just ran into? Although I would agree it isn't
major. RPM builds on ES I just find a pain. There always seems to be
something missing.

An option, which is what Command Prompt employs is to use source to
create our own RPM so we don't have to deal with any odd decisions by
the original packagers.

On to your actual problem. What happens if you download all the separate
package rpms for postgresql and just do:

rpm -ivh *.rpm ?

That should resolve any dependency within itself.

   Our
> management team really wants us to get away from compiling Postgresql if
> at all possible.  So, I am going to need a very good argument to keep
> compiling Postgresql when we do this next project.

My initial question would be what is managements argument but I probably
know the answer to that.

It really depends on your environment but you may want to try the
src.rpm (SRPMS) option.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting