Обсуждение: HELP !!!! Deleted the content of bin directory

HELP !!!! Deleted the content of bin directory

От
"Alain Lavigne"
Дата:
I inadvertly deleted the content of the /usr/local/pgsql/bin directory.  How
do I get back the files ???

Re: HELP !!!! Deleted the content of bin directory

Дата:
Alain Lavigne wrote:
> I inadvertly deleted the content of the /usr/local/pgsql/bin directory.  How
> do I get back the files ???

Just reinstall the software.

Re: HELP !!!! Deleted the content of bin directory

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 15:02, Alain Lavigne wrote:
> I inadvertly deleted the content of the /usr/local/pgsql/bin directory.  How
> do I get back the files ???

Since you are using /usr/local, I assume you built PostgreSQL from
source.

So run `make install' again.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded
      us according to our iniquities. For as the heaven is
      high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward
      them that fear him. As far as the east is from the
      west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from
      us."     Psalms 103:10-12

Remote monitoring

От
"Marc Mitchell"
Дата:
I have a requirement to be able to remotely monitor and diagnose a
production Postgres installation running on a machine with limited firewall
access.  When local to the box, I use pgmonitor and find it completely
indispensable.  But, from my remote location, I can only slogin to the box
and get terminal access and thus have a problem with the Xwindows display.
Admittedly, I'm not very well versed in Xwindows.  Is there any way to
achieve similar functionality but in a completely server based way?  I know
pgmonitor is basically based on a series of ps and awk commands.  Is there
a way this could be wrapped in a script to provide straight text based
information along the same lines as "top" or "sar"?

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Marc Mitchell - Senior Application Architect
Enterprise Information Solutions, Inc.
4910 Main Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515
marcm@eisolution.com

Re: Remote monitoring

Дата:
Marc Mitchell wrote:
> I have a requirement to be able to remotely monitor and diagnose a
> production Postgres installation running on a machine with limited firewall
> access.  When local to the box, I use pgmonitor and find it completely
> indispensable.  But, from my remote location, I can only slogin to the box
> and get terminal access and thus have a problem with the Xwindows display.
> Admittedly, I'm not very well versed in Xwindows.  Is there any way to
> achieve similar functionality but in a completely server based way?  I know
> pgmonitor is basically based on a series of ps and awk commands.  Is there
> a way this could be wrapped in a script to provide straight text based
> information along the same lines as "top" or "sar"?

Well, if you enable  stats_command_string in postgresql.conf you will
see the queries being run in pg_stat_activity.

Another option is to ssh into the machine, set your $DISPLAY back to
your local machine, and then run pgmonitor.  ssh does secure remote X
display.

Re: Remote monitoring

От
"Marc Mitchell"
> > I have a requirement to be able to remotely monitor and diagnose a
> > production Postgres installation running on a machine with limited
firewall
> > access.  When local to the box, I use pgmonitor and find it completely
> > indispensable.  But, from my remote location, I can only slogin to the
box
> > and get terminal access and thus have a problem with the Xwindows
display.
> > Admittedly, I'm not very well versed in Xwindows.  Is there any way to
> > achieve similar functionality but in a completely server based way?  I
know
> > pgmonitor is basically based on a series of ps and awk commands.  Is
there
> > a way this could be wrapped in a script to provide straight text based
> > information along the same lines as "top" or "sar"?
>
> Well, if you enable  stats_command_string in postgresql.conf you will
> see the queries being run in pg_stat_activity.

Would this have a performance cost?  Where does the X-based pgmonitor get
its query string data?

> Another option is to ssh into the machine, set your $DISPLAY back to
> your local machine, and then run pgmonitor.  ssh does secure remote X
> display.

When remote, the link between my workstation to the box being monitored is
via the net where my machine gains access via a NAT router and does not
have its own publicly routable IP.  So making the connection back from
server to workstation is problematic at best.

Would it be possible to get the code for the current X-based stuff in order
to convert it to a straight text based display in either ksh script or
perhaps C?  I wouldn't try to implement some of the more UI related stuff
like the ability to specify sort order or shutdown the server.  But having
a basic refreshing display of active sessions and the ability to get query
details on an one would same a do-able thing in C.

Marc Mitchell
Enterprise Information Solutions, Inc.
Downers Grove, IL 60515
marcm@eisolution.com

>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
19073

Re: Remote monitoring

Дата:
Marc Mitchell wrote:
> > Well, if you enable  stats_command_string in postgresql.conf you will
> > see the queries being run in pg_stat_activity.
>
> Would this have a performance cost?  Where does the X-based pgmonitor get

Less that 1% performance load.

> its query string data?

The X-based solution gets its query string from the local machine, it
just pipes the X display back to your local machine.

> > Another option is to ssh into the machine, set your $DISPLAY back to
> > your local machine, and then run pgmonitor.  ssh does secure remote X
> > display.
>
> When remote, the link between my workstation to the box being monitored is
> via the net where my machine gains access via a NAT router and does not
> have its own publicly routable IP.  So making the connection back from
> server to workstation is problematic at best.
>
> Would it be possible to get the code for the current X-based stuff in order
> to convert it to a straight text based display in either ksh script or
> perhaps C?  I wouldn't try to implement some of the more UI related stuff
> like the ability to specify sort order or shutdown the server.  But having
> a basic refreshing display of active sessions and the ability to get query
> details on an one would same a do-able thing in C.

Actually, there is a text-based TCL/Tk library.  I think it was done by
SCO initially for their install stuff.  Anyway, I am sure it exists
somewhere, and if you can get it, the script should just run with no
changes to pgaccess.

Re: Remote monitoring

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"