Re: Remote monitoring

От Marc Mitchell
Тема Re: Remote monitoring
Дата
Re: Remote monitoring
Список pgsql-admin
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
To: "Marc Mitchell" <marcm@eisolution.com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin@postgresql.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Remote monitoring

> Marc Mitchell wrote:
> > I have a requirement to be able to remotely monitor and diagnose a
> > production Postgres installation running on a machine with limited
firewall
> > access.  When local to the box, I use pgmonitor and find it completely
> > indispensable.  But, from my remote location, I can only slogin to the
box
> > and get terminal access and thus have a problem with the Xwindows
display.
> > Admittedly, I'm not very well versed in Xwindows.  Is there any way to
> > achieve similar functionality but in a completely server based way?  I
know
> > pgmonitor is basically based on a series of ps and awk commands.  Is
there
> > a way this could be wrapped in a script to provide straight text based
> > information along the same lines as "top" or "sar"?
>
> Well, if you enable  stats_command_string in postgresql.conf you will
> see the queries being run in pg_stat_activity.

Would this have a performance cost?  Where does the X-based pgmonitor get
its query string data?

> Another option is to ssh into the machine, set your $DISPLAY back to
> your local machine, and then run pgmonitor.  ssh does secure remote X
> display.

When remote, the link between my workstation to the box being monitored is
via the net where my machine gains access via a NAT router and does not
have its own publicly routable IP.  So making the connection back from
server to workstation is problematic at best.

Would it be possible to get the code for the current X-based stuff in order
to convert it to a straight text based display in either ksh script or
perhaps C?  I wouldn't try to implement some of the more UI related stuff
like the ability to specify sort order or shutdown the server.  But having
a basic refreshing display of active sessions and the ability to get query
details on an one would same a do-able thing in C.

Marc Mitchell
Enterprise Information Solutions, Inc.
Downers Grove, IL 60515
marcm@eisolution.com