Re: Remote monitoring

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Remote monitoring
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Marc Mitchell wrote:
> > Well, if you enable  stats_command_string in postgresql.conf you will
> > see the queries being run in pg_stat_activity.
>
> Would this have a performance cost?  Where does the X-based pgmonitor get

Less that 1% performance load.

> its query string data?

The X-based solution gets its query string from the local machine, it
just pipes the X display back to your local machine.

> > Another option is to ssh into the machine, set your $DISPLAY back to
> > your local machine, and then run pgmonitor.  ssh does secure remote X
> > display.
>
> When remote, the link between my workstation to the box being monitored is
> via the net where my machine gains access via a NAT router and does not
> have its own publicly routable IP.  So making the connection back from
> server to workstation is problematic at best.
>
> Would it be possible to get the code for the current X-based stuff in order
> to convert it to a straight text based display in either ksh script or
> perhaps C?  I wouldn't try to implement some of the more UI related stuff
> like the ability to specify sort order or shutdown the server.  But having
> a basic refreshing display of active sessions and the ability to get query
> details on an one would same a do-able thing in C.

Actually, there is a text-based TCL/Tk library.  I think it was done by
SCO initially for their install stuff.  Anyway, I am sure it exists
somewhere, and if you can get it, the script should just run with no
changes to pgaccess.