Обсуждение: Linux Distributions

Linux Distributions

От
"Peter Darley"
Дата:
Friends,
    I'm wondering if there is a specific Linux distribution for the x86 that
will provide a better PostgreSQL server than the other ones?
Thanks,
Peter Darley

Re: Linux Distributions

От
Andy Ruhl
Дата:
Yeah, it's called FREEBSD. www.freebsd.org.

If you don't like that, go to www.netbsd.org.

Sorry, had to do it.

Andy

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Peter Darley wrote:

> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 09:49:43 -0800
> From: Peter Darley <pdarley@kinesis-cem.com>
> To: Pgsql-Admin <pgsql-admin@postgresql.org>
> Subject: [ADMIN] Linux Distributions
>
> Friends,
>     I'm wondering if there is a specific Linux distribution for the x86 that
> will provide a better PostgreSQL server than the other ones?
> Thanks,
> Peter Darley

acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org

Re: Linux Distributions

От
"Peter Darley"
Дата:
Andy,
    I've got nothing against FreeBSD, except that I'm familiar with Linux and
not with BSD.  What is it about FreeBSD that is going to make it faster than
Linux?  Any idea where I can find some comparative benchmarks?
Thanks,
Peter Darley

>     I'm wondering if there is a specific Linux distribution for the x86 that
> will provide a better PostgreSQL server than the other ones?
> Thanks,
> Peter Darley

acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Linux Distributions

От
Andy Ruhl
Дата:
On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Peter Darley wrote:

> Andy,
>     I've got nothing against FreeBSD, except that I'm familiar with Linux and
> not with BSD.  What is it about FreeBSD that is going to make it faster than
> Linux?  Any idea where I can find some comparative benchmarks?
> Thanks,
> Peter Darley

I don't mean to start a flame war here...

Actually, I've seen benchmarks (but don't remember where they are) that
show that Linux and FreeBSD are amazingly equal at most activities on
equivalent hardware.

My point is, machines are faster when they are actually running.

Andy

--
acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org

Re: Linux Distributions

От
"mike sears"
Дата:
iirc redhat has been busy optimizing postgresql, but if you take the time
and sit down, and configure postgres, you can prolly make it just as speedy
on any distro.

just my .02

Matrix

> > I've got nothing against FreeBSD, except that I'm familiar with Linux
and
> > not with BSD.  What is it about FreeBSD that is going to make it faster
than
> > Linux?  Any idea where I can find some comparative benchmarks?
> > Thanks,
> > Peter Darley
>
> I don't mean to start a flame war here...
>
> Actually, I've seen benchmarks (but don't remember where they are) that
> show that Linux and FreeBSD are amazingly equal at most activities on
> equivalent hardware.
>
> My point is, machines are faster when they are actually running.
>
> Andy
>
> --
> acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org

Re: Linux Distributions

От
David Gilbert
Дата:

Andy> On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Peter Darley wrote:
>> Andy, I've got nothing against FreeBSD, except that I'm familiar
>> with Linux and not with BSD.  What is it about FreeBSD that is
>> going to make it faster than Linux?  Any idea where I can find some
>> comparative benchmarks?  Thanks, Peter Darley

Andy> I don't mean to start a flame war here...

Andy> Actually, I've seen benchmarks (but don't remember where they
Andy> are) that show that Linux and FreeBSD are amazingly equal at
Andy> most activities on equivalent hardware.

Andy> My point is, machines are faster when they are actually running.

Well... from experience, there are points where FreeBSD has strong
advantages.  Memory management is an obvious one.  NFS is is another.
Softupdates (the native file system) also has a small edge.  We run a
linux binary on a FreeBSD cluster (100-or-so nodes) because the
FreeBSD cluster will do about 5% more work than the exact same
hardware booted with linux (we actually use a diskless DHCP boot ---
so we can quickly swap back and forth to test).

5% isn't a huge difference, but it is a real world application.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Velocet Communications.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dgilbert@velocet.net             |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |

Re: Linux Distributions

От
Ian Barwick
Дата:
On Wednesday 06 March 2002 18:49, Peter Darley wrote:
> Friends,
>     I'm wondering if there is a specific Linux distribution for the x86 that
> will provide a better PostgreSQL server than the other ones?
> Thanks,
> Peter Darley

Do you have a more precise definition of "better"?

If you mean "better" for a production environment then I would
recommend the Linux distribution or [insert other OS name here]
that best suits your setup and which you feel most comfortable
with. Then build and configure PostgreSQL (and any other
major applications you will be relying heavily on, e.g. Apache in
a webs server environment) yourself.

(Distribution-built applications such as these are usually very nicely done
and are suitable if you want to get acquainted with them,
but often lag a version or two behind the current release version;
and of course the distributors don't know very much about
your particular production environment).

Ian Barwick

Re: Linux Distributions

От
"Peter Darley"
Дата:
Ian,
    By better I guess I mean faster.  I'm looking to get the most speed out of
my database without having to invest in new hardware.
Thanks,
Peter Darley

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 18:49, Peter Darley wrote:
> Friends,
>     I'm wondering if there is a specific Linux distribution for the x86 that
> will provide a better PostgreSQL server than the other ones?
> Thanks,
> Peter Darley

Do you have a more precise definition of "better"?

If you mean "better" for a production environment then I would
recommend the Linux distribution or [insert other OS name here]
that best suits your setup and which you feel most comfortable
with. Then build and configure PostgreSQL (and any other
major applications you will be relying heavily on, e.g. Apache in
a webs server environment) yourself.

(Distribution-built applications such as these are usually very nicely done
and are suitable if you want to get acquainted with them,
but often lag a version or two behind the current release version;
and of course the distributors don't know very much about
your particular production environment).

Ian Barwick

Re: Linux Distributions

От
Ian Barwick
Дата:
On Thursday 07 March 2002 01:02, Peter Darley wrote:
> Ian,
>     By better I guess I mean faster.  I'm looking to get the most speed out of
> my database without having to invest in new hardware.
> Thanks,
> Peter Darley

Then I don't think the PostgreSQL binaries provided in any given distribution
will have any significant bearing on the matter; what will play a role is
 1) how well does the distribution support your hardware;
 2) whether your hardware is tuned optimally (BIOS, HD parameters etc.);
 3) how PostgreSQL is built and configured

1 and 2 are beyond the scope of this list. How the PostgreSQL binaries
were built (self-built or distribution-supplied) will probably have less
of an effect on speed than the configuration (although as mentioned
distributions often lag behind a version or two; the newer the version,
the better the support), which very much depends on you and your hardware.

HTH

Ian Barwick

Re: Linux Distributions

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
> I'm wondering if there is a specific Linux distribution for the x86 that
> will provide a better PostgreSQL server than the other ones?
> Thanks,
> Peter Darley

Dear Peter,

PostgreSQL will only be PostgreSQL and there is no real difference, except
compilation choices and RPM package names.

I have been using Mandrake distros for 18 months now. PostgreSQL binaries are
provided with multi-byte (i.e. you can create a Unicode database, which is
not the case of most 7.1.x binaries I guess) and all server-side languages.

Mandrake 8.1 is provided with PostgreSQL 7.1.2 but you can download the
latest 7.2 binaries from :
http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandrake/cooker/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/PByName.html

If some extra RPMs are needed, just follow the links on
http://fr2.rpmfind.net/ and download them.

Furthermore, Mandrake is provided with ReiserFS journalizing system, which
coupled to PostgreSQL WAL system garantees a fast startup in case of power
failure without data loss.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: Linux Distributions

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 00:02, Peter Darley wrote:
> Ian,
>     By better I guess I mean faster.  I'm looking to get the most speed out of
> my database without having to invest in new hardware.
> Thanks,
> Peter Darley

You would be better off building your own.  Debian, at least, configures
PostgreSQL with locales and multibyte, which make it more useful to
international community but which slow it down to some extent.

     "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them
      in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the
      Holy Ghost; Teaching them to observe all things
      whatsoever I have commanded you; and, lo, I am with
      you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
                     Matthew 28:19,20

Re: Linux Distributions

От
"Chad R. Larson"
Дата:
At 12:55 PM 3/6/02 -0800, Peter Darley wrote:
>What is it about FreeBSD that is going to make it faster than Linux?  Any
>idea where I can find some comparative benchmarks?

There are a lot of comparative benchmarks that show FreeBSD as much faster
than Linux in real-world load mixes.

         -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad@eldocomp.com
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100

Re: Linux Distributions

От
David Gilbert
Дата:

Andy> On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Peter Darley wrote:
>> Andy, I've got nothing against FreeBSD, except that I'm familiar
>> with Linux and not with BSD.  What is it about FreeBSD that is
>> going to make it faster than Linux?  Any idea where I can find some
>> comparative benchmarks?  Thanks, Peter Darley

Andy> I don't mean to start a flame war here...

Andy> Actually, I've seen benchmarks (but don't remember where they
Andy> are) that show that Linux and FreeBSD are amazingly equal at
Andy> most activities on equivalent hardware.

Andy> My point is, machines are faster when they are actually running.

Well... from experience, there are points where FreeBSD has strong
advantages.  Memory management is an obvious one.  NFS is is another.
Softupdates (the native file system) also has a small edge.  We run a
linux binary on a FreeBSD cluster (100-or-so nodes) because the
FreeBSD cluster will do about 5% more work than the exact same
hardware booted with linux (we actually use a diskless DHCP boot ---
so we can quickly swap back and forth to test).

5% isn't a huge difference, but it is a real world application.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Velocet Communications.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dgilbert@velocet.net             |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |

Re: Linux Distributions

От
"Chad R. Larson"
Дата:
At 12:55 PM 3/6/02 -0800, Peter Darley wrote:
>What is it about FreeBSD that is going to make it faster than Linux?  Any
>idea where I can find some comparative benchmarks?

There are a lot of comparative benchmarks that show FreeBSD as much faster
than Linux in real-world load mixes.

         -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad@eldocomp.com
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228

Re: Linux Distributions

От
"ATOLO"
Дата:
The fact "about FreeBSD that is
going to make it faster than Linux" notes in B.Tiemann Michael C. Urban
"FreeBSD" (see part "Linux and FreeBSD")