Re: Linux Distributions

От Ian Barwick
Тема Re: Linux Distributions
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thursday 07 March 2002 01:02, Peter Darley wrote:
> Ian,
>     By better I guess I mean faster.  I'm looking to get the most speed out of
> my database without having to invest in new hardware.
> Thanks,
> Peter Darley

Then I don't think the PostgreSQL binaries provided in any given distribution
will have any significant bearing on the matter; what will play a role is
 1) how well does the distribution support your hardware;
 2) whether your hardware is tuned optimally (BIOS, HD parameters etc.);
 3) how PostgreSQL is built and configured

1 and 2 are beyond the scope of this list. How the PostgreSQL binaries
were built (self-built or distribution-supplied) will probably have less
of an effect on speed than the configuration (although as mentioned
distributions often lag behind a version or two; the newer the version,
the better the support), which very much depends on you and your hardware.

HTH

Ian Barwick