Re: Linux Distributions

От Jean-Michel POURE
Тема Re: Linux Distributions
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> I'm wondering if there is a specific Linux distribution for the x86 that
> will provide a better PostgreSQL server than the other ones?
> Thanks,
> Peter Darley

Dear Peter,

PostgreSQL will only be PostgreSQL and there is no real difference, except
compilation choices and RPM package names.

I have been using Mandrake distros for 18 months now. PostgreSQL binaries are
provided with multi-byte (i.e. you can create a Unicode database, which is
not the case of most 7.1.x binaries I guess) and all server-side languages.

Mandrake 8.1 is provided with PostgreSQL 7.1.2 but you can download the
latest 7.2 binaries from :
http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandrake/cooker/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/PByName.html

If some extra RPMs are needed, just follow the links on
http://fr2.rpmfind.net/ and download them.

Furthermore, Mandrake is provided with ReiserFS journalizing system, which
coupled to PostgreSQL WAL system garantees a fast startup in case of power
failure without data loss.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel