Re: Linux Distributions

От Ian Barwick
Тема Re: Linux Distributions
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wednesday 06 March 2002 18:49, Peter Darley wrote:
> Friends,
>     I'm wondering if there is a specific Linux distribution for the x86 that
> will provide a better PostgreSQL server than the other ones?
> Thanks,
> Peter Darley

Do you have a more precise definition of "better"?

If you mean "better" for a production environment then I would
recommend the Linux distribution or [insert other OS name here]
that best suits your setup and which you feel most comfortable
with. Then build and configure PostgreSQL (and any other
major applications you will be relying heavily on, e.g. Apache in
a webs server environment) yourself.

(Distribution-built applications such as these are usually very nicely done
and are suitable if you want to get acquainted with them,
but often lag a version or two behind the current release version;
and of course the distributors don't know very much about
your particular production environment).

Ian Barwick