Обсуждение: Problems starting postmaster

Problems starting postmaster

От
Miguel Valero
System : Redhat 5.1
Linux kernel : 2.0.34
PostgreSQL : version 6.3 (rpm)

Problems starting postmaster. I am getting this error whenever I try
running PostgreSQL:
Starting postgresql service: bash: /usr/bin/postmaster: permission denied

Can anyone give any assistance please?

Thanks.
Miguel R. Valero
valero@ao.uscourts.gov

Re: [ADMIN] Problems starting postmaster

От
Terry Mackintosh
Дата:
Hi Miguel

As what user are you trying to run postmaster?

ALSO, as what user did you compile and install PostgreSQL as?

If the answer to both is not user postgres, as root do:
(you must have created user postgres already, and set the home dir. to the
pgsql dir.)

chown -R postgres:postgres ~postgres
(This will give every thing the correct owner ship.)

Then, either start postmaster as postgres, OR, most likely, use a start up
script that runs as root BUT su's to postgres and starts postmaster.
An example script is in the contrib dir..

Hope that helps
Terry

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Miguel Valero wrote:

> System : Redhat 5.1
> Linux kernel : 2.0.34
> PostgreSQL : version 6.3 (rpm)
>
> Problems starting postmaster. I am getting this error whenever I try
> running PostgreSQL:
> Starting postgresql service: bash: /usr/bin/postmaster: permission denied
>
> Can anyone give any assistance please?
>
> Thanks.
> Miguel R. Valero
> valero@ao.uscourts.gov

Terry Mackintosh <terry@terrym.com>          http://www.terrym.com
sysadmin/owner  Please! No MIME encoded or HTML mail, unless needed.

Proudly powered by R H Linux 4.2, Apache 1.3, PHP 3, PostgreSQL 6.4
Success Is A Choice ... book by Rick Patino, get it, read it!

Re: [ADMIN] Problems starting postmaster

От
Miguel Valero
Дата:
Terry,

Thanks for your help, but I still getting the same message when I run the
following postgresql script as root:

[root@lelu /root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
Starting postgresql service: bash: /home/valero/.bashrc: Permission denied
bash: /usr/bin/postmaster: Permission denied
postmaster [ ]

These are the files and permissions for  ~postgres (/var/lib/pgsql):

-rw-------  1 postgres postgres      4 May  5  1998 PG_VERSION
drwx------  4 postgres postgres   1024 Nov  8 15:10 base
-rw-------  1 postgres postgres   8192 Nov  8 15:10 pg_database
-rw-------  1 postgres postgres   8192 Oct 14 15:41 pg_database.rpmsave
-r--------  1 postgres postgres   2838 May  5  1998 pg_geqo.sample
-rw-------  1 postgres postgres      0 May  5  1998 pg_group
-r--------  1 postgres postgres   5100 May  5  1998 pg_hba.conf
-rw-------  1 postgres postgres   8192 Nov  8 16:02 pg_log
-rw-------  1 postgres postgres   8192 Oct 16 10:53 pg_log.rpmsave
-rw-rw-rw-  1 postgres postgres     64 May  5  1998 pg_pwd
-rw-------  1 postgres postgres   8192 Nov  8 15:45 pg_shadow
-rw-------  1 postgres postgres   8192 Oct 14 10:41 pg_shadow.rpmsave
-rw-------  1 postgres postgres   8192 Nov  8 16:02 pg_variable
-rw-------  1 postgres postgres   8192 Oct 16 10:53 pg_variable.rpmsave
-rw-r--r-   1 postgres postgr      46 Dec 19 15:38  server.log

Thanks once again for your kindly help

Miguel R. Valero
valero@ao.uscourts.gov

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Terry Mackintosh wrote:

> Hi Miguel
>
> As what user are you trying to run postmaster?
>
> ALSO, as what user did you compile and install PostgreSQL as?
>
> If the answer to both is not user postgres, as root do:
> (you must have created user postgres already, and set the home dir. to the
> pgsql dir.)
>
> chown -R postgres:postgres ~postgres
> (This will give every thing the correct owner ship.)
>
> Then, either start postmaster as postgres, OR, most likely, use a start up
> script that runs as root BUT su's to postgres and starts postmaster.
> An example script is in the contrib dir..
>
> Hope that helps
> Terry
>
> On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Miguel Valero wrote:
>

> > System : Redhat 5.1
> > Linux kernel : 2.0.34
> > PostgreSQL : version 6.3 (rpm)
> >
> > Problems starting postmaster. I am getting this error whenever I try
> > running PostgreSQL:
> > Starting postgresql service: bash: /usr/bin/postmaster: permission denied
> >
> > Can anyone give any assistance please?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Miguel R. Valero
> > valero@ao.uscourts.gov
> >

> Terry Mackintosh <terry@terrym.com>          http://www.terrym.com
> sysadmin/owner  Please! No MIME encoded or HTML mail, unless needed.
>
> Proudly powered by R H Linux 4.2, Apache 1.3, PHP 3, PostgreSQL 6.4
> Success Is A Choice ... book by Rick Patino, get it, read it!

Re: [ADMIN] Problems starting postmaster

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
Miguel Valero wrote:
  >Terry,
  >
  >Thanks for your help, but I still getting the same message when I run the
  >following postgresql script as root:
  >
  >[root@lelu /root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
  >Starting postgresql service: bash: /home/valero/.bashrc: Permission denied

It is bash that is complaining - apparently about the .bashrc in your own
home directory.

Do `su - root' rather than just `su' and try again.

     "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shall call
      his name JESUS; for he shall save his people from
      their sins."            Matthew 1:21