Re: [ADMIN] Problems starting postmaster

От Terry Mackintosh
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Problems starting postmaster
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Miguel

As what user are you trying to run postmaster?

ALSO, as what user did you compile and install PostgreSQL as?

If the answer to both is not user postgres, as root do:
(you must have created user postgres already, and set the home dir. to the
pgsql dir.)

chown -R postgres:postgres ~postgres
(This will give every thing the correct owner ship.)

Then, either start postmaster as postgres, OR, most likely, use a start up
script that runs as root BUT su's to postgres and starts postmaster.
An example script is in the contrib dir..

Hope that helps
Terry

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Miguel Valero wrote:

> System : Redhat 5.1
> Linux kernel : 2.0.34
> PostgreSQL : version 6.3 (rpm)
>
> Problems starting postmaster. I am getting this error whenever I try
> running PostgreSQL:
> Starting postgresql service: bash: /usr/bin/postmaster: permission denied
>
> Can anyone give any assistance please?
>
> Thanks.
> Miguel R. Valero
> valero@ao.uscourts.gov

Terry Mackintosh <terry@terrym.com>          http://www.terrym.com
sysadmin/owner  Please! No MIME encoded or HTML mail, unless needed.

Proudly powered by R H Linux 4.2, Apache 1.3, PHP 3, PostgreSQL 6.4
Success Is A Choice ... book by Rick Patino, get it, read it!