Обсуждение: very slow when writing query to file

very slow when writing query to file

От
boris pezzatti
Дата:
I have a postgresql database 8.3 on a server. When querying the data
with the pgAdmin sql editor, I can get an answer in about 10 s, for
100'000 rows. When I'm pressing the button to execute the query to a
file it takes more than 1 hour to get the query results saved (writes
about 10 MB in 45 minutes).

Am I doing something wrong?
Are there some parameters to set?

This happens with the version 1.14 of pgAdmin, but used also to be very
slow with the previous versions (2-3 years ago).

OS : Archlinux (but had the same problem 1-2 years ago with ubuntu)

Thank you ,
Boris

Re: very slow when writing query to file

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 14:57 +0200, boris pezzatti wrote:
> I have a postgresql database 8.3 on a server. When querying the data
> with the pgAdmin sql editor, I can get an answer in about 10 s, for
> 100'000 rows. When I'm pressing the button to execute the query to a
> file it takes more than 1 hour to get the query results saved (writes
> about 10 MB in 45 minutes).
>
> Am I doing something wrong?
> Are there some parameters to set?

Never heard of such a behaviour before. I'm not sure what happens on
your computer.

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com

Re: very slow when writing query to file

От
boris pezzatti
Дата:
Does anyone have any proposition how I could further test where the
problem is. This is really a strange behaviour, that I noticed with
different versions of pgAdmin.
Could a firewall produce a difference when querying data visually or for
a write to file? (should not ...)

Thank you,
Boris

 Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 14:57 +0200, boris pezzatti wrote:
>> I have a postgresql database 8.3 on a server. When querying the data
>> with the pgAdmin sql editor, I can get an answer in about 10 s, for
>> 100'000 rows. When I'm pressing the button to execute the query to a
>> file it takes more than 1 hour to get the query results saved (writes
>> about 10 MB in 45 minutes).
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong?
>> Are there some parameters to set?
>>
> Never heard of such a behaviour before. I'm not sure what happens on
> your computer.

Re: very slow when writing query to file

От
Francisco Leovey
Is the file where you write the query output located on the same server as the DB?

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 14:57 +0200, boris pezzatti wrote:
>> I have a postgresql database 8.3 on a server. When querying the data
>> with the pgAdmin sql editor, I can get an answer in about 10 s, for
>> 100'000 rows. When I'm pressing the button to execute the query to a
>> file it takes more than 1 hour to get the query results saved (writes
>> about 10 MB in 45 minutes).
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong?
>> Are there some parameters to set?
>>
> Never heard of such a behaviour before. I'm not sure what happens on
> your computer.

To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgadmin-support

Re: very slow when writing query to file

От
boris pezzatti
Дата:
No, actually it is on my machine ...

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 14:57 +0200, boris pezzatti wrote:
>> I have a postgresql database 8.3 on a server. When querying the data
>> with the pgAdmin sql editor, I can get an answer in about 10 s, for
>> 100'000 rows. When I'm pressing the button to execute the query to a
>> file it takes more than 1 hour to get the query results saved (writes
>> about 10 MB in 45 minutes).
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong?
>> Are there some parameters to set?
>>
> Never heard of such a behaviour before. I'm not sure what happens on
> your computer.

To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgadmin-support

--
Boris Pezzatti
Swiss Federal Research Institute WSL
Research unit Community Ecology
Team Insubric Ecosystems
via Belsoggiorno 22
CH-6500 Bellinzona
Switzerland
phone direct ++41 91 821 52 32
phone ++41 91 821 52 30
fax ++41 91 821 52 39
boris.pezzatti@wsl.ch
http://www.wsl.ch

Re: very slow when writing query to file

От
boris pezzatti
Дата:
Actually I do not have access to the server file system.
What I can not understand is that:
1)  if I can execute the query and see the data in the table viewer the data are also sent over the network
2) how does the execute to file command differ with respect to the point 1) ?  Is each line retrieved separately and written to the file location? Or is written first to a temporary location and then copied?

Maybe I'll have to start  looking into the source code ....
Thanks anyway,

Boris

I propose you output to a file located on the same server as the DB and then copy that file to your PC
IMO your problem is network related.

Is the file where you write the query output located on the same server as the DB?