Обсуждение: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

От
Miles Elam
Дата:
On a 1024x600 screen, common in netbooks, some dialog boxes extend below the bottom of the screen and cannot be
re-sized/scrolled. Even on 1240x768, database editing is strained.

For example, the table creation dialog box does not allow adding column fields, constraints, some permissions, or
finalizingthe creation, because the controls for the previous list are below the bottom of the screen where the mouse
cannotreach them.

The same is true of the sequence creation dialog box, though most entry fields are accessible on that one.  The table
creationdialog box however is effectively unusable.

While obviously not preferred tools for database maintenance, netbooks are increasingly common for travelers and many
budget-orientedusers like myself.

Cheers,

Miles Elam

Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le lundi 22 juin 2009 à 18:20:44, Miles Elam a écrit :
> On a 1024x600 screen, common in netbooks, some dialog boxes extend below
> the bottom of the screen and cannot be re-sized/scrolled.  Even on
> 1240x768, database editing is strained.
>
> For example, the table creation dialog box does not allow adding column
> fields, constraints, some permissions, or finalizing the creation, because
> the controls for the previous list are below the bottom of the screen where
> the mouse cannot reach them.
>
> The same is true of the sequence creation dialog box, though most entry
> fields are accessible on that one.  The table creation dialog box however
> is effectively unusable.
>
> While obviously not preferred tools for database maintenance, netbooks are
> increasingly common for travelers and many budget-oriented users like
> myself.

Our dialogs are not designed to work with so small screens. 800 is
particularly the maximum height (because that's what I have on my day to day
laptop and I did the design for 1.10). Which unfortunately does not mean that
I would make them smaller if I had a netbook.

I think our standards are:

* Standard dialog heights are 150, 250, and 280
* Standard dialog widths are 220, and 300

(according to
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgAdmin_Internals#Property_page_dialogue_layout
but it should be pretty uptodate AFAICT).

This is in wxWidgets units, and I don't know how to convert them in pixels.

Anyway, seems you have a point here. We probably should make them smaller. The
only way we can do this is to put the comment box on its own tab. Not
something Dave would like to have IIRC. Or we can put only "standards (common)
infos" on the first tab, and specifics ones on another one.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

От
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Дата:
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Le lundi 22 juin 2009 à 18:20:44, Miles Elam a écrit :
>> On a 1024x600 screen, common in netbooks, some dialog boxes extend below
>> the bottom of the screen and cannot be re-sized/scrolled.  Even on
>> 1240x768, database editing is strained.

Here also.  In fact I removed pgAdmin III from my netbook because of this.

<snip />

> Anyway, seems you have a point here. We probably should make them smaller. The
> only way we can do this is to put the comment box on its own tab. Not
> something Dave would like to have IIRC. Or we can put only "standards (common)
> infos" on the first tab, and specifics ones on another one.

I like it -- the extra tab that is.

++

\\||/
Rod
--

Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Guillaume
Lelarge<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

> Anyway, seems you have a point here. We probably should make them smaller. The
> only way we can do this is to put the comment box on its own tab. Not
> something Dave would like to have IIRC. Or we can put only "standards (common)
> infos" on the first tab, and specifics ones on another one.

I'm not absolutely against the idea, but having the variable sized
comment box on the front of each dialogue makes them look full,
whereas if you move it, some dialogues will have a large empty space
on the first tab because other tabs force the height to be greater
than the controls require. That looks really quite odd & ugly.

--
Dave Page

Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hello

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Rainer Bauer<usenet@munnin.com> wrote:

> What I usually do in these cases is using a different layout depending
> on the screen resolution. For 99,x % of all users the dialogs would stay
> the way they are now and for the netbook users they would fit on
> screen.
>
> Since the netbooks have fairly wide screens, the dialogs could simple
> made wider without moving controls to a new/different tab.
>
> Would that be a solution?

My guess is that you never tried to get wxWidgets XRC dialogues to
look exactly as you wanted. If you had, you'd never suggest trying to
offer multiple layouts :-)

Technically, yes, it would be a solution, but I doubt anyone will have
the patience to implement it.

--
Dave Page

Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Rainer Bauer<usenet@munnin.com> wrote:

> [... downloads and peeks at ~\pgadmin3-1.8.4\pgadmin\ui\*.xrc ...]
> What I find a little bit "strange" is that the dialog elements are
> not positioned using sizer elements, but instead every single control
> is specified with an absolute coordinate. But maybe this has
> historical reasons?

It did - but if you look at the 1.10 source, you should see sizers
used in pretty much every dialogue now. It took Guillaume and I
(mainly Guillaume) a *significant* amount of time to work out all the
platform-specific kinks.

> DP> If you had, you'd never suggest trying to offer multiple layouts :-)
>
> This would only affect a couple of dialogs. And loading a different
> resource depending on the screen resolution should be trivial.

Oh, yeah - that's certainly true.

> DP> Technically, yes, it would be a solution, but I doubt anyone will have
> DP> the patience to implement it.
>
> There is one thing that I found while looking at the resources: The OP
> said the table creation dialog did not fit on his 1024x600 screen. But
> on my XP SP3 machine this dialog is only 556 pixel high.

In my experience GTK widgets tend to be larger than Windows or Mac

--
Dave Page

Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le mardi 23 juin 2009 à 11:40:16, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Rainer Bauer<usenet@munnin.com> wrote:
> > [... downloads and peeks at ~\pgadmin3-1.8.4\pgadmin\ui\*.xrc ...]
> > What I find a little bit "strange" is that the dialog elements are
> > not positioned using sizer elements, but instead every single control
> > is specified with an absolute coordinate. But maybe this has
> > historical reasons?
>
> It did - but if you look at the 1.10 source, you should see sizers
> used in pretty much every dialogue now. It took Guillaume and I
> (mainly Guillaume) a *significant* amount of time to work out all the
> platform-specific kinks.

Much more time than I initialy thought. Even after the new UI has been
commited (lots of strange quirks to fix).

> > DP> If you had, you'd never suggest trying to offer multiple layouts :-)
> >
> > This would only affect a couple of dialogs. And loading a different
> > resource depending on the screen resolution should be trivial.
>
> Oh, yeah - that's certainly true.
>
> > DP> Technically, yes, it would be a solution, but I doubt anyone will
> > have DP> the patience to implement it.
> >
> > There is one thing that I found while looking at the resources: The OP
> > said the table creation dialog did not fit on his 1024x600 screen. But
> > on my XP SP3 machine this dialog is only 556 pixel high.
>
> In my experience GTK widgets tend to be larger than Windows or Mac

That's also my experience. (And that's why I initialy worked on the sizer
stuff)

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

От
Rainer Bauer
Дата:
Hello Dave,

DP> It did - but if you look at the 1.10 source, you should see sizers
DP> used in pretty much every dialogue now. It took Guillaume and I
DP> (mainly Guillaume) a *significant* amount of time to work out all the
DP> platform-specific kinks.

Yeah, I only looked at the 1.8.4 tarball.

>> DP> Technically, yes, it would be a solution, but I doubt anyone will have
>> DP> the patience to implement it.
>>
>> There is one thing that I found while looking at the resources: The OP
>> said the table creation dialog did not fit on his 1024x600 screen. But
>> on my XP SP3 machine this dialog is only 556 pixel high.

DP> In my experience GTK widgets tend to be larger than Windows or Mac

Ah, I assumed he uses Windows. But after rereading the original mail I
can find no mention of it. Miles?

Rainer

Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le mardi 23 juin 2009 à 12:06:52, Rainer Bauer a écrit :
> Hello Dave,
>
> Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 11:40:16 AM, you wrote:
>
> DP> It did - but if you look at the 1.10 source, you should see sizers
> DP> used in pretty much every dialogue now. It took Guillaume and I
> DP> (mainly Guillaume) a *significant* amount of time to work out all the
> DP> platform-specific kinks.
>
> Yeah, I only looked at the 1.8.4 tarball.

> >> have DP> the patience to implement it.
> >>
> >> There is one thing that I found while looking at the resources: The OP
> >> said the table creation dialog did not fit on his 1024x600 screen. But
> >> on my XP SP3 machine this dialog is only 556 pixel high.
>
> DP> In my experience GTK widgets tend to be larger than Windows or Mac
>
> Ah, I assumed he uses Windows. But after rereading the original mail I
> can find no mention of it. Miles?

Not sure what he uses. But, anyway, I don't think we'll do something specific
to one platform.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>>> have DP> the patience to implement it.
>>>
>>> There is one thing that I found while looking at the resources: The OP
>>> said the table creation dialog did not fit on his 1024x600 screen. But
>>> on my XP SP3 machine this dialog is only 556 pixel high.
>> In my experience GTK widgets tend to be larger than Windows or Mac
>
> That's also my experience. (And that's why I initialy worked on the sizer
> stuff)

Showing my total lack of knowledge about GTK.. :-)

Isn't there some way to theme or style GTK to make them smaller? I would
assume it's very theme:able in general (again, not knowing), but would
it allow something like that? Or would it break everything?

-- Magnus HaganderSelf: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

От
Rainer Bauer
Дата:
Hello Dave,

DP> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Rainer Bauer<usenet@munnin.com> wrote:

>> What I usually do in these cases is using a different layout depending
>> on the screen resolution. For 99,x % of all users the dialogs would stay
>> the way they are now and for the netbook users they would fit on
>> screen.

DP> My guess is that you never tried to get wxWidgets XRC dialogues to
DP> look exactly as you wanted.

In my experience they work as they should.

[... downloads and peeks at ~\pgadmin3-1.8.4\pgadmin\ui\*.xrc ...]
What I find a little bit "strange" is that the dialog elements are
not positioned using sizer elements, but instead every single control
is specified with an absolute coordinate. But maybe this has
historical reasons?

DP> If you had, you'd never suggest trying to offer multiple layouts :-)

This would only affect a couple of dialogs. And loading a different
resource depending on the screen resolution should be trivial.

DP> Technically, yes, it would be a solution, but I doubt anyone will have
DP> the patience to implement it.

There is one thing that I found while looking at the resources: The OP
said the table creation dialog did not fit on his 1024x600 screen. But
on my XP SP3 machine this dialog is only 556 pixel high.

So it seems the OP has specified a different DPI setting via
Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > General > Display

Miles, can you confirm that the DPI setting is at 96 DPI?

Rainer

Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

От
Miles Elam
Дата:
Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix

No matter the outcome, thank you all for taking the time to look at this.  I'll play around with some themes and see if
Ican find one that shrinks the controls down to a manageable size as a workaround.

- Miles

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur.

Hello Dave,