Обсуждение: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
postgresql.org@tgice.com
Дата:
I noticed one of the new features on the win32 side for pgAdmin is that
when you're viewing a row and press "delete" you get a prompt to delete
the row.

That's a pretty cool feature, except it also triggers that prompt if
you're editing a field within a row, and might be wanting to delete some
characters within the field, not the whole row.

I vote that should be changed.  Anyone else?

jl

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
"Dave Page"

I can't reproduce that here - it deletes the character to the right of
the cursor.

Regards, Dave

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
"Melvin Davidson"
Дата:
You just need to use position the cursor after the character and press
'Backspace' to delete it.
You should not be using the "Delete" key to delete characters.

I noticed one of the new features on the win32 side for pgAdmin is that
when you're viewing a row and press "delete" you get a prompt to delete
the row.

That's a pretty cool feature, except it also triggers that prompt if
you're editing a field within a row, and might be wanting to delete some
characters within the field, not the whole row.

I vote that should be changed.  Anyone else?

jl

TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate      subscribe-nomail command to
majordomo@postgresql.orgso that your      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Dave Page wrote:
>> That's a pretty cool feature, except it also triggers that prompt if
>> you're editing a field within a row, and might be wanting to
>> delete some
>> characters within the field, not the whole row.
>
> I can't reproduce that here - it deletes the character to the right of
> the cursor.

Thanks for checking, Dave, but I just reproduced it again (and I've been
noticing this pretty much ever since I installed 1.4.3).

I'm running on WinXP SP2 with nothing else too funky going on.  Can you
think of anything in my configuration that might be causing this?

jl

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
postgresql.org@tgice.com
Дата:
Melvin Davidson wrote:
> You just need to use position the cursor after the character and press
> 'Backspace' to delete it.

Yes, thanks for the workaround but I'd already figured that out.

> You should not be using the "Delete" key to delete characters.

Surely you're joking.

jl

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
"Melvin Davidson"
Дата:
I cannot duplicate your problem either.

Is it possible you are using/have a keyboard mapping utility program
which
has redefined the function of the delete key?

>> That's a pretty cool feature, except it also triggers that prompt if
>> you're editing a field within a row, and might be wanting to delete
>> some characters within the field, not the whole row.
>
> I can't reproduce that here - it deletes the character to the right of

> the cursor.

Thanks for checking, Dave, but I just reproduced it again (and I've been
noticing this pretty much ever since I installed 1.4.3).

I'm running on WinXP SP2 with nothing else too funky going on.  Can you
think of anything in my configuration that might be causing this?

jl

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
postgresql.org@tgice.com
Дата:
Melvin Davidson wrote:
> I cannot duplicate your problem either.
>
> Is it possible you are using/have a keyboard mapping utility program
> which
> has redefined the function of the delete key?

I don't think so, but if no one else can reproduce this it must be
something strange about my workstation.

I did have a Ctrl and maybe Shift key sticking occasionally on my
keyboard, but those don't seem like they'd cause the problem.

Also, I do know this never happened in previous versions for me.

Oh well, forget about it for now.  I'll wait to see if anyone else comes
up with the same problem.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

On 2/8/06 17:19, "postgresql.org@tgice.com" <postgresql.org@tgice.com>
wrote:

> Dave Page wrote:
>>> That's a pretty cool feature, except it also triggers that prompt if
>>> you're editing a field within a row, and might be wanting to
>>> delete some
>>> characters within the field, not the whole row.
>>
>> I can't reproduce that here - it deletes the character to the right of
>> the cursor.
>
> Thanks for checking, Dave, but I just reproduced it again (and I've been
> noticing this pretty much ever since I installed 1.4.3).
>
> I'm running on WinXP SP2 with nothing else too funky going on.  Can you
> think of anything in my configuration that might be causing this?

Nope. There have been changes in that code as you know - can you figure out
an exact procedure to recreate the problem? Perhaps it takes some specific
order of cell/row selection and/or focus changes.

Regards, Dave.

Re: SPAM: MEDIUM * Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with

От
postgresql.org@tgice.com
Dave Page wrote:
>> I'm running on WinXP SP2 with nothing else too funky going on.  Can you
>> think of anything in my configuration that might be causing this?
>
> Nope. There have been changes in that code as you know - can you figure out
> an exact procedure to recreate the problem? Perhaps it takes some specific
> order of cell/row selection and/or focus changes.

Yes, sorry -- I should've been more specific from the outset.

Anyway, here's the simplest way I can reproduce it:

1) Open a table
2) Single click on a cell
3) Press F2 to move into edit mode
4) Press Delete

Then I get the "Delete rows?" dialog box.

Alternatively, I can replace 2) and 3) with a double click on a cell,
and I get the same result.

Like I said, it could be something very strange on my machine or perhaps
just some random key sticking on my keyboard (though the behavior does
not seem intermittent as one would expect were that the problem).

jl

Re: SPAM: MEDIUM * Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with

От
"Dave Page"

I think it must be - I see exactly the expected behaviour following
either of your procedures (ie. Text in cell is fully highlighted upon
edit start, delete clears the cell).

Regards, Dave

Re: SPAM: MEDIUM * Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with

От
"Selber, Heiko"
> > Then I get the "Delete rows?" dialog box.
> >
> > Alternatively, I can replace 2) and 3) with a double click
> on a cell,
> > and I get the same result.
> >
> > Like I said, it could be something very strange on my machine
> > or perhaps
> > just some random key sticking on my keyboard (though the
> > behavior does
> > not seem intermittent as one would expect were that the problem).
>
> I think it must be - I see exactly the expected behaviour following
> either of your procedures (ie. Text in cell is fully highlighted upon
> edit start, delete clears the cell).

It is definitely not a stuck key. I can reproduce jl's problem here (you're not alone!), and my keyboard has never
failedme.

For me it gets even stranger: whether I click yes or no in the dialog, the row is not deleted in either case! ( If it's
important:I use German localization, so it's 'ja' and 'nein' here. )

Still, when I close the table, pgadmin asks me whether I want to save the changes. But there are none.

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
"George Pavlov"
Дата:
the behavior described by jl definitely happens to me too on a straight
out of the box, freshly installed windows xp sp2 with an american
english untweaked keyboard (this is about as stock as it gets--a brand
new computer, not much installed yet in terms of other software).

also as described by heiko selber the data edit functionality seems to
be completely non-working.

george

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
"Dave Page"

*Completely non-working*? You mean you cannot edit data and save it even
if you don't hit the delete key? You cannot delete rows by selecting the
row and using the delete key or button?

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
"Selber, Heiko"
> > also as described by heiko selber the data edit
> functionality seems to
> > be completely non-working.
>
> *Completely non-working*? You mean you cannot edit data and
> save it even
> if you don't hit the delete key? You cannot delete rows by
> selecting the
> row and using the delete key or button?

No, that's not the case (for me).

I can edit cells normally if I avoid the delete key.

And I can also delete a row by selecting it and hitting the delete key.

BTW: I use XP SP2, too, but not at all out of the box, with lots of various kinds of software installed.

Regards,

Heiko

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
Mauro Bertoli
If can help:
* Win XP SP2 with pgAdmin III 1.4.3 installed *

- If I select the row and press CANC, pgAdmin ask
about deleting
- if I select a cell (no cursor inside) and press
CANC, pgAdmin ask about deleting
- if I click on a cell (cursor inside the cell) and
press CANC to delete the char, pgAdmin ask about
deleting

Using backspace non problems.

Hope this help!
Mauro

Chiacchiera con i tuoi amici in tempo reale! http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/*http://it.messenger.yahoo.com

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
"Melvin Davidson"
Дата:
OK everybody. So far we've determined this happens for some people and
not for others.
So how about being a little more specific on the conditions regarding
the hardware in use?
Run the System Information function and save the output to a file. The
attach it to the report.
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe"
Perhaps that will give the PgAdmin developers a little more to go on.

* Win XP SP2 with pgAdmin III 1.4.3 installed *

- If I select the row and press CANC, pgAdmin ask about deleting
- if I select a cell (no cursor inside) and press CANC, pgAdmin ask
about deleting
- if I click on a cell (cursor inside the cell) and press CANC to delete
the char, pgAdmin ask about deleting

Using backspace non problems.

Hope this help!
Mauro

Chiacchiera con i tuoi amici in tempo reale! http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/*http://it.messenger.yahoo.com

TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate      subscribe-nomail command to
majordomo@postgresql.orgso that your      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
"Dave Page"

Don't worry about it - I managed to reproduce it and am looking at it.
It'll probably only get fixed for 1.6.0 though (I very much doubt there
will be a 1.4.4 anyway).

Regards, Dave

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
"Raymond O'Donnell"
Дата:
On 3 Aug 2006 at 15:47, Dave Page wrote:

> It'll probably only get fixed for 1.6.0 though (I very much doubt there
> will be a 1.4.4 anyway).

Is there going to be a 1.5? - just curious.

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell
Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Galway, Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
"Dave Page"

1.5.x is the development code between 1.4 and 1.6. You can download
recent 1.5 builds from http://developer.pgadmin.org/snapshots/. Don't
expect them to be bug free, but you do get to try the new whizzy bang
features.

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32 & OTHER

От
"George Pavlov"
Дата:
> > also as described by heiko selber the data edit
> > functionality seems to
> > be completely non-working.
>
> *Completely non-working*? You mean you cannot edit data and save it
> even if you don't hit the delete key? You cannot delete rows by
> selecting the row and using the delete key or button?

sorry, i should have tried more scenarios and been more specific. i
don't use this part of the application at all, so don't have much by way
of volume of observations. here's what i see:

1. if only one cell is selected (but not in cell-edit mode) and i press
DELETE i get a confirmation dialog, saying "yes" to that does not do
anything -- this is what i was referring to. this is bad.

2. if i click on a rownumber (highlight a whole row) and press DELETE i
get a confirmation dialog and the row gets deleted. this is good.

3. if i get into edit mode on a cell (press F2, or double click) i can
edit (except for the delete key bug) and the changes get saved.

4. if in the above scenario (3) i have pressed DELETE at any time F2,
the UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT keys stop working until i click someplace.

5. if i highlight a COLUMN and press DELETE, it asks me about deleting a
ROW, but of course nothing happens.

now that i am looking at that grid in detail here are a few other
bugs/questions/enhancement ideas:

a. click on a row number and select a whole row (as in (1) above), now
holding the SHIFT key start pressing the DOWN key -- you would expect
subsequent rows to be fully highlighted, instead only one column of
cells of those rows are highlighted (the cells below the cell that was
highlighted before you selected the whole row), resulting in a funky T-
or L-shaped pattern. not sure what pressing DELETE should do after that
-- the confirmation dialog comes up but nothing really happens when you
say "yes" -- i guess this is behavior similar to (1).

b. how can one insert a tab character in a cell? by analogy with a
newline (CTRL+ENTER) i would have expected CTRL+TAB to work, but that
just moves you to the next cell.

c. pressing CTRL+SPACE on a cell highlights the cell and makes the save
icon enabled in the toolbar even though no visible data change is
observed.

d. double-clicking the column separator in the column header sizes the
column to the width of the HEADER, ignoring the width of the data, this
is behavior that is the exact opposite of the behavior of the data grid
in the query tool (there double-clicking sizes the columns to the width
of the data ignoring the header/column name width). i personally like
neither behavior--it would be best if it got sized to a width that
accomodates BOTH the header and the data width.

e. double clicking a column separator sizes the column back to the
single row height -- sizing to the height of the tallest entry (if you
have multi-line data in any of that row's cells) would probably be a
more standard behavior.

f. when entering a new row of data and suing TAB to move between columns
there is no per-cell validation (which happens when you press ENTER
after each cell), so if you have messed up something (say, entered two
characters in a char(1) field all your data entry gets wiped out once
you have completed a row -- would be nice if you just got asked to edit
your faulty entry rather than having to start from scratch again.
actually it is not even clear the data is completely lost (maybe it is
somewhere in the background, because clicking on the * row sometimes
gives you errors about other fields that violate constraints, etc. --
this is hard to fully describe in a few sentences).

all for now. don't mean to be too critical/overwhelming, just thought
i'd put down in writing what i saw.

george

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32 & OTHER

От
"George Pavlov"
ERRATA: substitute ROW for COLUMN in (e):

e. double clicking a ROW separator sizes the ROW back
to the single row height -- sizing to the height of the
tallest entry (if you have multi-line data in any of that
row's cells) would probably be a more standard behavior.

OK, I've committed some changes to TRUNK that should improve things. It
needs more testing on Mac & Linux (these sort of issues are the least
x-platform friendly :-(, but I'll move onto that shortly...

> 1. if only one cell is selected (but not in cell-edit mode)
> and i press
> DELETE i get a confirmation dialog, saying "yes" to that does not do
> anything -- this is what i was referring to. this is bad.

Fixed.

> 2. if i click on a rownumber (highlight a whole row) and
> press DELETE i
> get a confirmation dialog and the row gets deleted. this is good.

Already working :-)

> 3. if i get into edit mode on a cell (press F2, or double click) i can
> edit (except for the delete key bug) and the changes get saved.

Delete key fixed.

> 4. if in the above scenario (3) i have pressed DELETE at any time F2,
> the UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT keys stop working until i click someplace.

Fixed.

> 5. if i highlight a COLUMN and press DELETE, it asks me about
> deleting a
> ROW, but of course nothing happens.

Fixed.

> now that i am looking at that grid in detail here are a few other
> bugs/questions/enhancement ideas:
>
> a. click on a row number and select a whole row (as in (1) above), now
> holding the SHIFT key start pressing the DOWN key -- you would expect
> subsequent rows to be fully highlighted, instead only one column of
> cells of those rows are highlighted (the cells below the cell that was
> highlighted before you selected the whole row), resulting in
> a funky T-
> or L-shaped pattern. not sure what pressing DELETE should do
> after that
> -- the confirmation dialog comes up but nothing really
> happens when you
> say "yes" -- i guess this is behavior similar to (1).

That's really down to the grid control. It will no longer prompt you
about deleting.

> b. how can one insert a tab character in a cell? by analogy with a
> newline (CTRL+ENTER) i would have expected CTRL+TAB to work, but that
> just moves you to the next cell.

Ctrl+Tab should now work.

> c. pressing CTRL+SPACE on a cell highlights the cell and
> makes the save
> icon enabled in the toolbar even though no visible data change is
> observed.

Not sure what's causing that.

> d. double-clicking the column separator in the column header sizes the
> column to the width of the HEADER, ignoring the width of the
> data, this
> is behavior that is the exact opposite of the behavior of the
> data grid
> in the query tool (there double-clicking sizes the columns to
> the width
> of the data ignoring the header/column name width). i personally like
> neither behavior--it would be best if it got sized to a width that
> accomodates BOTH the header and the data width.

Both now size to the cell contents. I can't find a useful function to
get the correct label size, so something more complex would need to be
written for that.

> e. double clicking a column separator sizes the column back to the
> single row height -- sizing to the height of the tallest entry (if you
> have multi-line data in any of that row's cells) would probably be a
> more standard behavior.

Already works that way in trunk.

> f. when entering a new row of data and suing TAB to move
> between columns
> there is no per-cell validation (which happens when you press ENTER
> after each cell), so if you have messed up something (say, entered two
> characters in a char(1) field all your data entry gets wiped out once
> you have completed a row -- would be nice if you just got
> asked to edit
> your faulty entry rather than having to start from scratch again.
> actually it is not even clear the data is completely lost (maybe it is
> somewhere in the background, because clicking on the * row sometimes
> gives you errors about other fields that violate constraints, etc. --
> this is hard to fully describe in a few sentences).

There is still no per-column validation (I'm not sure that it would ever
be feasible as it would mean attempting inserts/updates when the user
hasn't finished entering data which may well throw errors for columns
they haven't got to yet). It does now retain all values after an error
has occurred.

> all for now. don't mean to be too critical/overwhelming, just thought
> i'd put down in writing what i saw.

No problem - I'd prefer to get things working well. Thanks to all those
who've tested the editor today and provided feedback.

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
"Raymond O'Donnell"
Дата:
On 3 Aug 2006 at 16:48, Dave Page wrote:

> 1.5.x is the development code between 1.4 and 1.6. You can download
> recent 1.5 builds from http://developer.pgadmin.org/snapshots/. Don't

Will do. Is it OK to install a development build alongside a release
build on the same machine (Win32)? - Any chance that registry
entries, etc., might get messed up?

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell
Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Galway, Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: pgAdmin 1.4.3 bug with delete button in win32

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Servers are stored differently which may look a little odd when you run the older release, but nothing nasty should
happen.

Regards, Dave