Обсуждение: No way to have error message on pgadmin III pg 8.0

No way to have error message on pgadmin III pg 8.0

От
"Laurent Birckel"

where working on pgadminIII to writing a function (on windows, postgre 8.0)

if I fortget a ";" or a ")" (for all other errors toot,

I get absolutely nothing when I run the crate or alter function (F5)

I just know that there is an error because I don't have the message "query exucuted ...", but th'ats all

I think I tried everything , but no way to have the error messages like "syntax error at line N"

somebody can help me ?

Thanks a lot

Laurent Birckel

Re: No way to have error message on pgadmin III pg 8.0

От
"Dave Page"

where working on pgadminIII to writing a function (on windows, postgre 8.0)

if I fortget a ";" or a ")" (for all other errors toot,

I get absolutely nothing when I run the crate or alter function (F5)

I just know that there is an error because I don't have the message "query exucuted ...", but th'ats all

I think I tried everything , but no way to have the error messages like "syntax error at line N"

Unfortunately PostgreSQL doesn't validate most functions when they are created. pl/pgsql does have a basic validator, but it is possible it is not enabled, check it's properties in pgAdmin and ensure a validator is listed. Either way, it is far from perfect, and the best option I find is to have a test query or queries setup in another window ready to run as soon as you've updated the function. That will show you where any errors are found.

Regards, Dave.

Re: No way to have error message on pgadmin III pg 8.0

От
"Laurent Birckel"
Дата:
Thanks for your answer.

    a validator seems to be set (plpgsql_validator)
    and the validator function exists
        (
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION plpgsql_validator( oid) RETURNS void AS
'$libdir/plpgsql', 'plpgsql_validator'
LANGUAGE 'c' VOLATILE;
        )

    I also tried to call my function (sometimes, when the function is syntaxcicaly correct but wrong on another way) from another window.
    But unfortunately i get the same kind of result : no messages. the only way to debug is to add some "return 1 ... return 2 ... to know approximatively where i'ts wrong.

    not easy !

thanks again, I search..

Laurent
[...]

Дата:
Sorry , I searched , but I didn't found any way to display error messages

If anybody have an idea, It should be nice

thanks for help

Laurent.

[...]

Дата:
Hi,

I can't think of any way to make this happen, unless I'm misunderstanding what you are doing. Can you supply step by step instructions to reproduce what you are (ok, aren't!) seeing?

Regards, Dave.