Обсуждение: Challenges with messages

Challenges with messages

От
"Harald Armin Massa[legacy]"
Дата:
Hello,

I am in the process of translating pgadmin3.po to German.

Some challenges with messages:

-------------------------------

Execute query / Generate SQL from Graphical Query Builder Model
Execute query, write result to file / Generate SQL from Graphical
Query Builder Model

usually that "/" seperates two rather equivalent actions. But
generating SQL from a Builder Model OR Executing a Query are quite
different things.
What is the setting behind this strings?

-------------------------------

There are Strings

Get Token

and

Gettoken

I am not shure if "gettoken" is really a word, but I am no native
english speaker (we Germans do not have any problem to connect)

BUT: are this really 2 different things or just a typo?

-----------

DESC, FIRST, LAST, NULL .... is there a way to escape strings to
prevent them from translating? I am QUITE sure that those should NOT
be translated; as I guess PostgreSQL will choke on

SELECT AUTHOR from BOOKS order ABSTEIGEND NULLEN ZUERST

------

same goes with

autovacuum_freeze_max_age
autovacuum_freeze_min_age

etc.

------

new String "5 seconds" - there is allready a string named %s seconds,
which should be used.

(and more "time-types" as "1 second, 10 seconds, 5 minutes, 30
minutes" should be upgraded to %s <unit>)

------

Connection Limit and Connection limit should be spelled the same way

-----

Best wishes,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: Challenges with messages

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Hi,

Harald Armin Massa[legacy] a écrit :
> [...]
> I am in the process of translating pgadmin3.po to German.
>
> Some challenges with messages:
>
> -------------------------------
>
> Execute query / Generate SQL from Graphical Query Builder Model
> Execute query, write result to file / Generate SQL from Graphical
> Query Builder Model
>
> usually that "/" seperates two rather equivalent actions. But
> generating SQL from a Builder Model OR Executing a Query are quite
> different things.
> What is the setting behind this strings?

Not quite sure of what you means. These are strings for a button in the
toolbar. If you are on the query tab, this button will execute the
query. If you are on the GQB tab, this button will build the SQL.

It would be better if the hint was modified when the tab is changed.
That's done on a patch yet to be commited.

> -------------------------------
>
> There are Strings
>

> Get Token
>
> and
>
> Gettoken
>
> I am not shure if "gettoken" is really a word, but I am no native
> english speaker (we Germans do not have any problem to connect)
>
> BUT: are this really 2 different things or just a typo?

There are the same things. I kept the Gettoken one (on a patch yet to be
commited).

> -----------
>
> DESC, FIRST, LAST, NULL .... is there a way to escape strings to
> prevent them from translating? I am QUITE sure that those should NOT
> be translated; as I guess PostgreSQL will choke on
>
> SELECT AUTHOR from BOOKS order ABSTEIGEND NULLEN ZUERST

Did you actually really get this query? because DESC, FIRST, LAST, NULL
are, AFAIK, only part of the UI strings. They are not used to build SQL
queries.

> ------
>
> same goes with
>
> autovacuum_freeze_max_age
> autovacuum_freeze_min_age
>
> etc.

I took a look at this. These are strings used in the properties panel.
They have to be different from the ones on the autovacuum tab, but we
can use something else than the parameters' names. I'll change this.

> ------
>
> new String "5 seconds" - there is allready a string named %s seconds,
> which should be used.
>
> (and more "time-types" as "1 second, 10 seconds, 5 minutes, 30
> minutes" should be upgraded to %s <unit>)

There's a much worse problem with this. I'll work on it.

> ------
>
> Connection Limit and Connection limit should be spelled the same way

Done.

Thanks for all.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Challenges with messages

От
Harald Armin Massa
Дата:
Guillaume,

>> Execute query / Generate SQL from Graphical Query Builder Model
>> Execute query, write result to file / Generate SQL from Graphical
>> Query Builder Model

> Not quite sure of what you means. These are strings for a button in the
> toolbar. If you are on the query tab, this button will execute the
> query. If you are on the GQB tab, this button will build the SQL.

Ah, I guess the problem is not with the message, but with ONE button
having TWO very distinct effects.

I really recommend to change to TWO buttons:

- creating SQL from a Graphical Model is not at all similiar to
executing a SQL: executing SQL can mean war and peace, as in:

create countrys_to_liberate as select country_id from all_countries;

while creating SQL from a Graphical representation is a pure local
thing, not touching the server at all.

>> DESC, FIRST, LAST, NULL .... is there a way to escape strings to
>> prevent them from translating? I am QUITE sure that those should NOT
>> be translated; as I guess PostgreSQL will choke on
> Did you actually really get this query? because DESC, FIRST, LAST, NULL
> are, AFAIK, only part of the UI strings. They are not used to build SQL
> queries.

No, I did not... I just had the messages :) And was reminded of BAD
experience with Word / Excel, which had a phase where keywords within
VBA where translated ... *shudder*

>> autovacuum_freeze_max_age
>> autovacuum_freeze_min_age
>>
> I took a look at this. These are strings used in the properties panel.
> They have to be different from the ones on the autovacuum tab, but we
> can use something else than the parameters' names. I'll change this.

Hmmm... having the parameters' names is not bad, as you can google
them and get to the correct documentation. I was just asking for some
"escape" to keep them from the danger of being translated.
(Automatischstaubsaugen_einfrier_maximalalter) would be correct, but
ungoogleable to learn it's meaning.

Thanks for caring,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: Challenges with messages

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> [...]
>> ------
>>
>> new String "5 seconds" - there is allready a string named %s seconds,
>> which should be used.
>>
>> (and more "time-types" as "1 second, 10 seconds, 5 minutes, 30
>> minutes" should be upgraded to %s <unit>)
>>

> There's a much worse problem with this. I'll work on it.

I work on the "worse problem". Right now, preferences record the combo
string. But if you change the UI language, you won't get back your
previous rate setting. The attached patch record the actual rate value
in seconds.

(there's still work to do to have better translation strings)

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Вложения

Re: Challenges with messages

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Harald Armin Massa <chef@ghum.de> wrote:
> Guillaume,
>
>>> Execute query / Generate SQL from Graphical Query Builder Model
>>> Execute query, write result to file / Generate SQL from Graphical
>>> Query Builder Model
>
>> Not quite sure of what you means. These are strings for a button in the
>> toolbar. If you are on the query tab, this button will execute the
>> query. If you are on the GQB tab, this button will build the SQL.
>

> Ah, I guess the problem is not with the message, but with ONE button
> having TWO very distinct effects.

Actually the button always runs the query. The only difference is that
if you're in the GQB, it'll build the new query first and then execute
it. I think Guillaume's fix is correct.

> Hmmm... having the parameters' names is not bad, as you can google
> them and get to the correct documentation. I was just asking for some
> "escape" to keep them from the danger of being translated.
> (Automatischstaubsaugen_einfrier_maximalalter) would be correct, but
> ungoogleable to learn it's meaning.

Originally I thought we should use the parameter names there, however
I do now think descriptive names look nicer (you'll see the parameter
names in the SQL if that interests you).

I'm currently tweaking a couple of other messages and the property
list column sizing as a result of the changes here - will commit
shortly.

--
Dave Page

Re: Challenges with messages

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Harald Armin Massa <chef@ghum.de> wrote:

>> Actually the button always runs the query. The only difference is that
>> if you're in the GQB, it'll build the new query first and then execute
>> it. I think Guillaume's fix is correct.
>
> Okay. So I suggest to change "Geneate SQL from..." to "Generate and
> execute SQL from..."

Guillaume changed it to 'Execute query' iirc, which is pretty much
what I was going to use.

--
Dave Page

Re: Challenges with messages

От
Harald Armin Massa
Дата:

> Actually the button always runs the query. The only difference is that
> if you're in the GQB, it'll build the new query first and then execute
> it. I think Guillaume's fix is correct.

Okay. So I suggest to change "Geneate SQL from..." to "Generate and
execute SQL from..."

best wishes, Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: Challenges with messages

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

> I work on the "worse problem". Right now, preferences record the combo
> string. But if you change the UI language, you won't get back your
> previous rate setting. The attached patch record the actual rate value
> in seconds.

Seems like a better idea.

--
Dave Page

Re: Challenges with messages

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Dave Page a écrit :
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>
>> I work on the "worse problem". Right now, preferences record the combo
>> string. But if you change the UI language, you won't get back your
>> previous rate setting. The attached patch record the actual rate value
>> in seconds.
>
> Seems like a better idea.

It fixes also a few other issues. Can I commit it? or will you do it
with the other stuff you're working on?

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Challenges with messages

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>
>>> I work on the "worse problem". Right now, preferences record the combo
>>> string. But if you change the UI language, you won't get back your
>>> previous rate setting. The attached patch record the actual rate value
>>> in seconds.
>>
>> Seems like a better idea.
>>

> It fixes also a few other issues. Can I commit it? or will you do it
> with the other stuff you're working on?

No, please go ahead. I've finished already.

--
Dave Page

Re: Challenges with messages

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Dave Page a écrit :
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Dave Page a écrit :

>>> Seems like a better idea.
>>>
>> It fixes also a few other issues. Can I commit it? or will you do it
>> with the other stuff you're working on?
>
> No, please go ahead. I've finished already.

Done, thanks.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

PgAdmin support for Greenplum database

От
Chuck McDevitt
Дата:
I sent in a proposed patch last Friday to include in the beta.

So far, no feedback from anyone?  Is there a problem with the patch?

Re: PgAdmin support for Greenplum database

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt@greenplum.com> wrote:
> I sent in a proposed patch last Friday to include in the beta.
>
> So far, no feedback from anyone?  Is there a problem with the patch?

Don't panic - it arrived and will be reviewed (and hopefully applied).
Yesterday was pretty busy so I didn't get to it, and I was doing
family stuff over the weekend.

--
Dave Page