Re: Challenges with messages

От Harald Armin Massa
Тема Re: Challenges with messages
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Guillaume,

>> Execute query / Generate SQL from Graphical Query Builder Model
>> Execute query, write result to file / Generate SQL from Graphical
>> Query Builder Model

> Not quite sure of what you means. These are strings for a button in the
> toolbar. If you are on the query tab, this button will execute the
> query. If you are on the GQB tab, this button will build the SQL.

Ah, I guess the problem is not with the message, but with ONE button
having TWO very distinct effects.

I really recommend to change to TWO buttons:

- creating SQL from a Graphical Model is not at all similiar to
executing a SQL: executing SQL can mean war and peace, as in:

create countrys_to_liberate as select country_id from all_countries;

while creating SQL from a Graphical representation is a pure local
thing, not touching the server at all.

>> DESC, FIRST, LAST, NULL .... is there a way to escape strings to
>> prevent them from translating? I am QUITE sure that those should NOT
>> be translated; as I guess PostgreSQL will choke on
> Did you actually really get this query? because DESC, FIRST, LAST, NULL
> are, AFAIK, only part of the UI strings. They are not used to build SQL
> queries.

No, I did not... I just had the messages :) And was reminded of BAD
experience with Word / Excel, which had a phase where keywords within
VBA where translated ... *shudder*

>> autovacuum_freeze_max_age
>> autovacuum_freeze_min_age
>>
> I took a look at this. These are strings used in the properties panel.
> They have to be different from the ones on the autovacuum tab, but we
> can use something else than the parameters' names. I'll change this.

Hmmm... having the parameters' names is not bad, as you can google
them and get to the correct documentation. I was just asking for some
"escape" to keep them from the danger of being translated.
(Automatischstaubsaugen_einfrier_maximalalter) would be correct, but
ungoogleable to learn it's meaning.

Thanks for caring,

Harald

--