Re: A thought about other open source projects

От Lew
Тема Re: A thought about other open source projects
Дата
Список pgsql-general
David Goodenough wrote:
>   I don't support anyone has written a "how to write database agnostic
> code" guide?  That way its not a matter of porting, more a matter of
> starting off right.

There is no real way to write "database[-]agnostic" SQL, although of course
middleware code can and should be.

SQL dialects cannot even agree on simple things like the syntax for VARCHAR
(VARCHAR2 in Oracle) or the semantics of TIMESTAMP, or what is legal in a
SELECT.  As Sim Zacks said, "you lose most of the advantages of the chosen
database engine" if you write to the lowest common denominator, particularly
as such an LCD is nonexistent.

--
Lew