Re: A thought about other open source projects

От David Fetter
Тема Re: A thought about other open source projects
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 08:35:02AM -0400, Lew wrote:
> David Goodenough wrote:
> >I don't support anyone has written a "how to write database
> >agnostic code" guide?  That way its not a matter of porting, more a
> >matter of starting off right.
>
> There is no real way to write "database[-]agnostic" SQL, although of
> course middleware code can and should be.

"Database-agnostic middleware" is not a practical or desirable goal
for the same reason that "database-agnostic SQL" isn't.  The original
reasoning behind the radical experiment of "database-agnostic" was an
attempt to defend against the depredations of vendors of proprietary
RDBMSs, who tended to use strong-arm tactics any time they felt they
could get away with it.

As a strategy, "database-agnostic" has failed because the only two
(combinable) ways to implement it are enormously expensive even to
create, and super-linearly expensive to maintain.  I've covered these
below:

    http://people.planetpostgresql.org/dfetter/index.php?/archives/32-Portability-Part-I.html
    http://people.planetpostgresql.org/dfetter/index.php?/archives/33-Portability-Part-II.html

Fortunately, another strategy whose effect is to defend against the
above-mentioned strong-arm tactics--making a wide selection of
non-proprietary RDBMSs--has succeeded.  Just pick an RDBMS and max out
its capabilities.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Сообщение: Re: A thought about other open source projects
Сообщение: Re: A thought about other open source projects