Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel

От Erick Papadakis
Тема Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel
Дата
Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
Список pgsql-general
> Setting aside the fact that I don't even know what Cpanel is, I'm not
> sure how this is practical. How many versions of Cpanel are there and
> which versions of postgres do they ship? If Cpanel releases a new
> version, do the postgresql docs needs to be updated?

Cpanel team takes care of all of this. All it takes is for someone
like pgsql to wake up, smell the coffee, and get over the ignorance
about a platform that is the most prevalent in the web hosting world.
Cpanel is used by millions of users. I'll be surprised if Debian is.

MySQL has cracked this model. It sucks rocks as a database, but its
team knows how to market itself, which makes a world of difference.
(To end-users too, who thus become advocates, like for PHP).

Debian is an OS distro. The equivalent in my case is CentOS. Only a
small subset of hardcore techies would read a database man that comes
with an OS distro. Most people, including those hardcore techies,
would go to postgresql.org and expect to find as much info as
possible. (On that note, perhaps it's time someone considered a name
change to PgSQL, which is much saner--and did something with the
barren pgsql.com)

Right now, if I wish to contribute to the documentation, how do I make
it relevant? Look at MySQL docs, or PHP manual. I can leave comments
in a context-relevant manner -- e.g., check at the bottom of page:
http://sg.php.net/manual/en/ref.pgsql.php.

I was just looking at the ident/trust/etc authentication banter from
pgsql docs. Couldn't make out what greek was on there. When I jostled
a bit, and finally understood it, and really wanted to write it in
plain English for the next "simple" user like myself who just wants to
get cracking with the db and doesn't care about the admin intricasies,
then how I should I write it?

Only option for me is to pour content on these mailing lists (I mean,
we're in 2007, why is a forum so difficult? It's a lot friendlier than
a mailing list as I only get content updates for threads I subscribe
to, and can get there whenever I want...with search and all other
paraphernalia) or to put it on some blog and hope it shows up on
google.

Which it seldom does. If you think the problem "psql: FATAL:  role
'root' does not exist" is so common, try it on google with double
quotes. It returns 5 websites, 3 in English. None of which explains
anything meaningful.

Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel
Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel