Re: postgres rpms for solaris and suse

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: postgres rpms for solaris and suse
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Feb 8, 2008 5:54 PM, Kasia Tuszynska <ktuszynska@esri.com> wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I would like to install Postgresql 8.2.4 or Postgresql 8.3 on both
> solaris 10 and suse10.

Sun makes packages of postgresql available.  Do a search for
postgresql on the sun.com site.  Last I checked it was in the top 10.

> On the postgres site I found rpms to install on red hat and fedora, but
> not for the os' above.

Yeah, that's to be expected.

> Does that mean that in order to install on either solaris or suse I :
> 1. need to install from source

For Suse, probably if you want to keep up to date.

> 2. can use the red hat rpms

Nope.

> Is there some magic rpm source I am missing? Or should I just install
> from source?

Honestly, on a db only server it's not an entirely crazy idea.  About
2/3 of all pgsql servers I've set up have been source builds for
various reasons.  Just create a conf.local file that's a sh script
with all your options and put that script into source repo, and if you
need ot build a new server you just need that and a .tar.gz file.
Dead simple.

If you want multiple versions just use --prefix to put each in a
different directory and set a lib path for each env before starting.