Re: Postgres 8.2 install on solaris 10

От Bruce McAlister
Тема Re: Postgres 8.2 install on solaris 10
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
PostgreSQL 8.2 is released with Solaris 10 Update 4 (8/07). With regards
the Cluster requiring the binaries to be in a shared home, this is not
strictly true. If you have 2 nodes in the cluster, both nodes running
S10U4, then the binaries will both be located in the same area. You
could have the data area and configuration files on the cluster file
system (shared area) which would be read by each invocation of the local
binaries on each node if failed over.

n0g0013 wrote:
> On 06.02-12:40, Bhella Paramjeet-PFCW67 wrote:
>> [ ... ]
>>> We are considering having postgres 8.2 on solaris 10 machine for our
>>> production environment. While reading through sun docs, it looks like
>>> the solaris 10 update 6 onwards comes with the postgres 8.2 installed
>>> under /usr/postgres/8.2 . My question is can we have postgres binaries
>>> under a different location like /usr/local/a01 ( shared home ). I know
>>> I can install from source and can have postgres binaries where ever I
>>> want but here we have to use sun compiled postgres binaries in order
>>> to get support. So is there an option during solaris install to have
>>> postgres installed in a different location. Any help will be highly
>>> appreciated.
>> short answer is no but you shouldn't need to move the binaries and
>> libraries in order to move the database.  if you explain why that's a
>> requirement i'll put some more thought into it (creating a zone in that
>> location springs to mind but it's not exactly the same thing).
> [ ... ]
>> We wanted to have the postgres binaries in shared home. One of the main
>> requirement for sun cluster is to have the binaries in shared home.
>
> hmmm.  that's a pain.  i would create a zone and leave it inactive.
> if that was undesired i'd probably get the pre-comiled binaries from
> sunfreeware and link /usr/local to my shared home.  but, to be honest
> i feel that building from source is by far the best option.

| Bruce McAlister                          Blueface Ltd |
| <bruce.mcalister@blueface.ie>  http://www.blueface.ie |