Re: initdb failure with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 / Cygwin 1.3.22-1 /

От Frank Seesink
Тема Re: initdb failure with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 / Cygwin 1.3.22-1 /
Дата
Re: initdb failure with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 / Cygwin 1.3.22-1 /  (Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net>)
Список pgsql-cygwin
[This is my 3rd attempt to get this post to 'stick'.  Not sure why I'm
having such difficulty in posting to the mailing list, but it's a little
annoying.  Anyway, gave up on the GIF attachment.  Take my word for it,
ipc-daemon IS running according to Windows.  Now here goes...]

Yet more confusing data to work with:

I tried once again adding 'postgres' to the Administrators group
(otherwise I can't do 'net stop'/'net start' as user 'postgres', and I
wanted to in order to confirm something).  Steps taken were as follows:

(Note that unless otherwise noted, I am not logging off/on but just fast
user context switching between accounts to save time.)

1.  Logged completely off as 'postgres' (to free up 'keyring' of
     security settings)
2.  Signed back in as admin user 'Frank', and added 'postgres' to
     Administrators group.
3.  Changed ipc-daemon's NT service settings to log in under the
     'postgres' user context, making sure to type in password properly,
     blah blah blah.
3.  Ran BASH and entered following:
     $ net stop ipc-daemon
     $ rm /tmp/Multi*
     $ exit
4.  Did a switch user, then logged in as 'postgres'
5.  Ran BASH and entered following:
postgres@SEESINK /tmp
$ net start ipc-daemon
The Cygwin IPC Daemon service is starting.
The Cygwin IPC Daemon service was started successfully.

postgres@SEESINK /tmp
$ ls -al
total 4070
drwxrwxrwx+   4 Frank    Users           0 May  2 13:15 .
drwxrwx---+  10 Frank    Users           0 Apr 29 17:37 ..
drwxrwxrwx+   3 Frank    None            0 Apr 29 11:40 CygIPC
-rw-rw-rw-    1 postgres Users     3916520 May  2 13:15 MultiFileMsg
-rw-rw-rw-    1 postgres Users       22032 May  2 13:15 MultiFileSem
-rw-rw-rw-    1 postgres Users      202768 May  2 13:15 MultiFileShm
...[clip]

postgres@SEESINK /tmp
$ ps -ef
      UID     PID    PPID TTY     STIME COMMAND
postgres     120       1 con  13:13:59 /usr/bin/bash
postgres     892     120 con  13:17:25 /usr/bin/ps
6.  Notice anyting missing in the 'ps' command?  Yeah, right.  The
     ipc-daemon!!!  But if I bring up the NT Task Manager (see attached
     GIF), it's there.  Oh yeah, and the usual 'ipctest s' cmd failed
     as it always has thus far.
7.  Log completely out of 'postgres', sign back in as 'Frank', run BASH:
Frank@SEESINK ~
$ ps -ef
      UID     PID    PPID TTY     STIME COMMAND
    Frank    3788       1 con  13:13:17 /usr/bin/bash
postgres     948       1   ?  13:15:39 /usr/local/bin/ipc-daemon
    Frank    3596    3788 con  13:27:21 /usr/bin/ps
8.  Now ipc-daemon shows.  What the...?!?!?  I don't get it.  It's as if
     CYGWIN itself does not see the running process at all when I'm
     logged in as 'postgres'.  Why would THAT be?  How does Cygwin
     determine/maintain its list of running processes?  Obviously 'ps'
     does not show all running NT processes, but rather only those
     running in a Cygwin context.  But where is that maintained, and why
     is it that as 'postgres' I do not see that information?

Again, currently 'postgres' has been given Administrator level
privileges as far as WinXP is concerned.