Re: initdb failure with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 / Cygwin 1.3.22-1 /

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: initdb failure with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 / Cygwin 1.3.22-1 /
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Frank,

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 12:25:33PM -0400, Frank Seesink wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> (I tend to harden boxes I setup...comes with the territory...but
> sometimes the measures we take to protect a Windows box inadvertently
> breaks a feature we need.  I just wish I could figure out what that
> was.)

The above could be an explanation.

> >Please run the attached program under both the Frank and postgres
> >user accounts to confirm or refute the above hypothesis and report
> >back to the list.
>
> FYI:  Your .EXE was ripped out by an email virusscanner it appears
> (either ours or Gmane's...can't tell which), and I have the following
> warning at the head of your email:

I provided the source for exactly the above reason.  Anyway, you can
download a pre-built version from here:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2003-05/bin00000.bin

or build it yourself.

> So what's involved in compiling this code?  Just straightforward 'gcc
> -o cit.exe cit.c' ?

Yes.

> Forgive my being just a tad leary.

No problem.

> I'm sure the code is legit.  I just figured I'd ask first to verify
> that you did send me an .EXE. :-)

Yes, I attempted to send an executable.

> >BTW, I just thought of a potential workaround.  What happens if you
> >run ipc-daemon under the postgres account.  Does "ipctest s" under
> >postgres work?  Does initdb work?  Remember to delete the /tmp files
> >created by ipc-daemon before trying.
>
> Actually, if you read my posts from last night, you'll see I've
> already covered that ground...and then some.

Yes, I read it but after responding to your previous post.

> Do you happen to know what default security changes MS may have made
> in XP, say in the 'Local Security Policies', between 2000 & XP?

No, but this is another area to investigate.  However, remember that I
recently tried installing PostgreSQL on XP Pro SP1 and it behaved just
like 2000 SP3 for me.

Jason