Re: does wal archiving block the current client connection?

От Jeff Frost
Тема Re: does wal archiving block the current client connection?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, 17 May 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

>> The "lurking feeling" scenario above might or might nor be an issue
>> here, but I can't see how the archiver could be involved at all.
>
> Well, I don't see it either; at this point we're waiting on Jeff to
> provide some harder evidence ...

Was the 3,000 transactions per minute helpful?  What other evidence should I
be looking for?  Really the only evidence I have at this point is that when
the NAS gets rebooted and comes back up, the postmaster resumes normal
operations and the client count goes back down; however, that could just be
coincidental, but we've seen it happen 3 times now.  This might have nothing
to do with archiving, it just seems like the only likely candidate since there
are only two things which happen on this volmume: PITR and rsyncing of
pg_dumps (we dump locally first for speed reasons).  Maybe this is just a
linux kernel thing?  Or maybe something else is blocking because it tries to
stat all the filesystems and /mnt/pgbackup blocks?  I can't imagine postgres
doing that though.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/