Re: [ADMIN] Can master and slave on different PG versions?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Can master and slave on different PG versions?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 9:49 AM, rammohan ganapavarapu
<rammohanganap@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 5:06 PM, rammohan ganapavarapu
>> <rammohanganap@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Is it possible to add 9.6 version Slave to 9.4 master?
>>
>> Standard usage for Slony. I've used it for dozens of upgrades in place
>> with a few seconds switch over time.  It's not as complex as it first
>> appears, but test on something other than production please.

> I am getting this error when i try to add 9.6 slave to 9.4 master.
>
> < 2017-10-09 22:56:31.081 UTC > FATAL: database files are incompatible with
> server < 2017-10-09 22:56:31.081 UTC > DETAIL: The data directory was
> initialized by PostgreSQL version 9.4, which is not compatible with this
> version 9.6.1.

Please don't top post.

So Are you trying to use streaming replication? That won't work. I was
suggesting using Slony for replication if you need to do that.

http://slony.info/documentation/index.html

It's a trigger based replication engine for postgresql designed back
in the early days and useful for replication between different
versions.