Re: Presentation tools used ?

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Presentation tools used ?
Дата
Re: Presentation tools used ?
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 at 03:34, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 8:30 AM Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>>
>> Achilleas Mantzios said on Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:50:10 +0300
>>
>> >Hello All
>> >
>> >I am going to give a talk about PostgerSQL, so I'd like to ask you
>> >people what do you use for your presentations, also I have no idea how
>> >the remote control works to navigate through slides. I have seen it,
>> >but never came close to using one.
>> >
>> >I have access to google slides and libreoffice Impress.  What tools
>> >would you suggest ? What's your setup ?

I would say for a first presentation I would suggest just using Google
Slides. It has some severe limitations no question and you'll probably
graduate to something more powerful for subsequent presentations but
you'll understand why you need the more complex features instead of
starting with something complicated and not knowing whether it's
really helping you.

The main disadvantage of Slides is that as a WYSIWYG style editor
you're designing each slide individually. If you later decide you want
to use a smaller font or slide the main body up a bit or whatever you
have to go back through all your slides making that change. It also
doesn't do things like code highlighting and can't really handle
anything but the simplest diagrams. So you'll end up with a lot of
inlined images and then if you want to tweak anything in them you have
to regenerate the images and replace them one by one.

But for a first go it's definitely the lowest bar to entry and one
kind of helpful side effect I find is it forces me to keep the slides
simple. It's great for quickly putting together simple presentations.
(One the other hand it tends to encourage the "every slide is a long
bullet list" style of presentation which is not so great)

One nice benefit of using a cloud based SAAS solution like Slides is
you can share the slide deck and present it from anyone's computer
without transferring files or finding a program to display it.

> Also I have noticed a lot of folks in the community (myself included) use Beamer mostly.
>
> I love it.  It makes my life a LOT easier.

I use it too and love the end result I was able to get it to do. But I
didn't really love the amount of effort it took to get that result.
The awesome thing is that having done that I could keep editing the
diagrams and code snippets for subsequent presentations and then just
run make to regenerate the slides. But each time I did that I had to
relearn TeX and TikZ....

--
greg

Сообщение: Re: Presentation tools used ?
Сообщение: Re: Presentation tools used ?