Re: Presentation tools used ?

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Presentation tools used ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 8:30 AM Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
Achilleas Mantzios said on Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:50:10 +0300

>Hello All
>
>I am going to give a talk about PostgerSQL, so I'd like to ask you
>people what do you use for your presentations, also I have no idea how
>the remote control works to navigate through slides. I have seen it,
>but never came close to using one.
>
>I have access to google slides and libreoffice Impress.  What tools
>would you suggest ? What's your setup ?

I use presentations in my work, both given by myself and given by
trainers. I can tell you Libreoffice Impress is absolute garbage. It
intermittently loses style definitions. As far as google slides, I know
nothing about them except I don't trust Google. Also, I'm not fan of
Software as a Service (SaaS) for non-big-enterprise usage. I prefer to
keep it all on my hard disk. That's where my PostgreSQL software
resides.

One big problem on most of these also is that you have presentation and content tied together.  So retheming a presentation is difficult or impossible.

This is one area where Beamer (which I see you mentioned) really shines.  I can change my presentations if someone wants them themed differently separate from my content.

Beamer (a LaTeX package) is the Cadillac of the industry, but only if
you're willing to put in the work. I've done presentations in
VimOutliner, but it's not "pretty" and so is only appropriate for
certain audiences. I created Free Software called HTMLSlides, but it's
not easy to use. I don't recommend it.

Also I have noticed a lot of folks in the community (myself included) use Beamer mostly.

I love it.  It makes my life a LOT easier.

If you don't want to use Beamer, my advice would be to research tools
that convert Markdown to slides. Markdown is lightning quick to author
in, very much unlike Beamer.

Two other suggestions:

1) Please have mercy on your audience members with poor vision, and use
   black type on white background. Yeah, it's not "pretty" and it's not
   "hip", but you won't lose people who can't read purple on blue.
   Likewise, use large fonts so everyone can read. If you need small
   fonts to reveal all your info, you need to split the slide in two.

+1

I do sometimes make an exception for this when something is sponsored and the sponsoring company requests it.

2) Don't read from your slides. If it's necessary to read the slide,
   what I do is tell the audience to read the slide, and then after
   they've read it I ask for questions and give them answers. But
   typically, my slides are an overview, and my verbal presentation is
   a dialog between myself and the audience.

Slides should be a mnemonic device for you as a speaker and for the audience later, not a source of direct information except when you need a visual exploration and then the images are helpful.

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.

Сообщение: Re: Presentation tools used ?
Сообщение: Re: Presentation tools used ?