От Peter Smith
Тема Re: row filtering for logical replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 1:10 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> BTW I think it's not great to commit with the presented split.  We would
> have non-trivial short-lived changes for no good reason (0002 in
> particular).  I think this whole series should be a single patch, with

Yes, we know that eventually these parts will be combined and
committed as a single patch. What you see not is still a
work-in-progress. The current separation has been mostly for helping
multiple people collaborate without too much clashing. e.g., the 0002
patch has been kept separate just to help do performance testing of
that part in isolation.

> the commit message being a fusion of messages explaining in full what
> the functional change is, listing all the authors together.  Having a
> commit message like in 0001 where all the distinct changes are explained
> in separate sections with each section listing its own author, does not
> sound very useful or helpful.

Yes, the current v58-0001 commit message is just a combination of
previous historical patch comments as each of them got merged back
into the main patch. This message format was just a quick/easy way to
ensure that no information was accidentally lost along the way. We
understand that prior to the final commit this will all need to be
fused together just like you are suggesting.

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia