Re: Remove trailing comma from enums

От Peter Smith
Тема Re: Remove trailing comma from enums
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 12:23 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 12:56 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> These are quite rare in the PG src, so I doubt they are intentional.
> >> PSA a patch to remove the trailing commas for all that I found.
>
> > -1.  I don't see the problem with C99 trailing commas.  They avoid
> > noisy diff lines when patches add/remove items.
>
> I think they're rare because up till very recently we catered to
> pre-C99 compilers that wouldn't accept them.  There's not much
> point in insisting on that now, though.
>
> Personally I'm less excited than Thomas about trailing commas
> being good for reducing diff noise, mainly because I think
> that "add new entries at the end" is an anti-pattern, and
> if you put new items where they logically belong then the
> problem is much rarer.  But I'm not going to argue against
> committers who want to do it like that, either.

FWIW, the background of this was that one of these examples overlapped
with a feature currently in development and it just caused a waste of
everyone's time by firstly "fixing" (removing) the extra comma and
then getting multiple code reviews saying the change was unrelated to
that feature and so having to remove that fix again. So I felt
removing all such commas at HEAD not only makes all the enums
consistent, but it may prevent similar time-wasting for others in the
future.

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.