Re: Remove trailing comma from enums

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: Remove trailing comma from enums
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Thu, 6 Jan 2022 12:52:50 +1100, Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote in
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 12:23 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >
> > Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > -1.  I don't see the problem with C99 trailing commas.  They avoid
> > > noisy diff lines when patches add/remove items.
> >
> > I think they're rare because up till very recently we catered to
> > pre-C99 compilers that wouldn't accept them.  There's not much
> > point in insisting on that now, though.
> >
> > Personally I'm less excited than Thomas about trailing commas
> > being good for reducing diff noise, mainly because I think
> > that "add new entries at the end" is an anti-pattern, and
> > if you put new items where they logically belong then the
> > problem is much rarer.  But I'm not going to argue against
> > committers who want to do it like that, either.
>
> FWIW, the background of this was that one of these examples overlapped
> with a feature currently in development and it just caused a waste of
> everyone's time by firstly "fixing" (removing) the extra comma and
> then getting multiple code reviews saying the change was unrelated to
> that feature and so having to remove that fix again. So I felt
> removing all such commas at HEAD not only makes all the enums
> consistent, but it may prevent similar time-wasting for others in the
> future.

I don't know where the above conversation took place, but it seems to
me that the first patch is not significant for reviewing and the last
patch seems to be just a waste of time even premising the first patch
survives.

I don't care whether the last item of an enum has a trailing comma or
not. (Or I like comma-less generally but I understand Thomas'
opinion.)  I think one may take either way if need to modify the lines
involving such lines.  But mildly object to make a change just to fix
them.

# Also, I don't want to see a comma-batttle breaks out at the end of
# an enum though...

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi