Re: AIX support - alignment issues

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: AIX support - alignment issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 7:24 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
> > It's funny to think that you probably could run modern PostgreSQL on
> > the Sun 3 boxes the project started on in 1986 (based on clues from
> > the papers in our history section) if you put NetBSD on them, but
> > you'd probably need to cross compile due to lack of RAM.
>
> Yeah.  I'm wondering if that sh3el package was cross-compiled,
> and if so whether it was just part of a mass package build rather
> than something somebody was specifically interested in.  You'd
> have to be a glutton for pain to want to do actual work with PG
> on the kind of SH3 hardware that seems to be available.

/me pictures Stark wheeling a real Sun 3 into a conference room

Yeah, we can always consider putting SuperH back if someone showed up
to maintain/test it.  That seems unlikely, but apparently there's an
open source silicon project based on this ISA, so maybe a fast one
isn't impossible...

Here's a patch to remove all of these.

I didn't originally suggest that because of some kind of (mostly
vicarious) nostalgia.  I wonder if we should allow ourselves a
paragraph where we remember these systems.  I personally think it's
one of the amazing things about this project.  Here's what I came up
with, but I'm sure there are more.

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: automatically generating node support functions
Сообщение: Re: automatically generating node support functions